Jaguar SS2 dash

(Graham Jordan) #1

Would anyone have a photo of the dash instruments in a SS2.
Cheers, Graham

0 Likes

(Ed Nantes) #2

Like an S1, it depends on which model
Allan Crouch’s book has some pics. Essentially though not a lot of difference to the equivalent SS1,

0 Likes

(Riccardo Barazzetta) #3

Hi Graham
Unfortunately SS2 dash of first series, before 1933 models, are totally different from late series!
I’m looking for some gauges for my very rare SS2 and many of them are similar at Standard Little Nine.
Regards
Riccardo

0 Likes

(Graham Jordan) #4

Hi Ricardo.

What brand are the gauges? Jaeger or Smiths?

Black or white faces in the gauge?

Regards, Graham.

0 Likes

(Ed Nantes) #5

It seemsa good idea to look for Standard dash boards, ears ago I found a Standard Dash on ebay which was virtually identical to an SS Certainly the rare fittings like stater button, ign switch etc were identical
I have a feeling I gave Dave Davenport the metal section rather than ship it here and just kept the bts I needed. There is a Standard club with a spares scheme
you haven’t actually specified which year or model you have.
And remember when looking at pictures of restored cars, they may often be what someone else has had a guess at.
It certaainly would have had the big stater button which just bridged themainbattery cables and the ign switch was justa " spade’ key with " Lucas" and " ing only" stamped on it and the operative bit lookedjust like a screwdriver. If you get a switch I have hada whole batch of the keys made.
Or if you are innovative, more modern ign switches[ up to the 50/60s can be converted to hthe correct type [ in appearance]

0 Likes

(Graham Jordan) #6

Not sure what models are represented here.

0 Likes

(Ed Nantes) #7

Tacho 1936 2 1/2 litre saloon or SS100, , Speedo 1936/7 saloon or SS100
OIl and ammeter SS100
Petrol gauge 100 faceon ather instrument
2in one inst and water at the bottom , 1936/7 saloon butthe black insert possible from an airline
Speedo , certainly intheealy SS1 ,SS2 style

0 Likes

(Riccardo Barazzetta) #8

Thanks Graham but none of them! I now have Jaeger but they are not correct for 1933 SS2.
I’m looking for black Standard AC dials (oil and petrol gauges). They have scale on top and arrow on the bottom side.

0 Likes

(Ed Nantes) #9

The SS1 fuel gauge is hard in ,as yousay the needle pivots fromthe bottom, not top as as usual.When I needed one the instrument maker inverted the donor Smiths gauge and put the new face on in the appropriate orientation. Then the wiring from the sender will need to e reversed.

The car isn’t running yeat so I can’t comment on how ell it works. But franks, I’d never try running on empty with one of these old cars.
You need to get clear pics of what gauges youshould have and check ebay uk every day. If you can find the right type of gauge it’snot impossible toprint new faces. Withmodern computer technology they can be extremely accurate. We have in the past done SS100, SS1 SS90 Wolseley Hornt, XK 120/140 etc

BUt I suspect Lyons just pinched them from Standards of the period.

0 Likes

(Graham Jordan) #10

This may (or may not) be of interest.

0 Likes

(Lovell) #11

Jordymk5,

That gauge looks like what Healey’s had back in the day.

0 Likes

(Ed Nantes) #12

And SS1 oil pressure gauges read to 160lb

0 Likes

(Lovell) #13

Capillary units can be altered for the additional pressure and you already are changing the faces.

0 Likes

(Ed Nantes) #14

But to my knowledge SS1/ SS2 never had a split 2" oil / temp gauge.

0 Likes