Jaguar wrist watch 1940s on ebay

Just for its historical importance: a Jaguar wrist watch (claimed to be made in Switzerland) is offered for sale on ebay Germany. The owner claims that it is made at the end of the Forties which might be correct looking at the dial plate and the early XK 120 style of it. Possibly that one of the Swiss Jaguar importers Emil Frey or Garage de Claparède had something to do with it. Never seen one before but may be others have seen more of these old Jaguar watches.

Please note that I have no relation with the seller nor any financial interest in this sale!

Bob K.

Is there a possibility these were made to attract sponsors for the race team?

The race team in the XK120 era was sponsored only by Jaguar, and by '55 there were other private teams sponsored by a rich guy like Ecurie Ecosse and Ecurie Belge, but nothing like sponsorship in Nascar today.
But quite a lot of stuff like SS logo ash trays, letter openers and desk pen holders have turned up, so it seems more likely to have been a dealer promotional item, given with purchase of a car.
I’d bid on it but I don’t see an English translator on ebait.

Rob,

See my translation of the text, without all the “commercial content”, just for a better description of the watch. I cannot be held responsible for the content of the text.
I’m not a watch expert and don’t know all the English expressions for the parts of the mechanism in a clock, but I guess you’ll understand.

Jaguar XK 120 wristwatch 1948-1950, hand winding, rare, good condition.
Fully operating mechanics. Swiss production.

Rare vintage hand-operated watch, typical end-40’s. Square steel housing with lid pressed on the back. Housing with moderate wear, still with original yellow glass in OK condition after 70 years. Solid robust brass „pin anchor mechanism“ (?) with “flat spring” (?) which operates perfectly.
Beautiful Bicolour dial plate with green figures and old type hands. Dial is in good condition as is the emblem. It is delivered with a brawn classic leather strap. Overall dimensions of housing: 3.5 x 3.5 cm. All our watches have been tested in our workshop.
Shipment: overseas: all Americas and Asia Pacific € 55.

Bob K.

unless it is the same watch I have seen this before on EBAY?
My guess some sort of fake but cheap at 1 euro

I tried to bid on it, but you have to be signed up to ebay Germany. Couldn’t be bothered with that!

Roger,

It’s just the same “log in” data as per ebay UK. I follow several ebay sites and you have only one identity for all.

Bob K.

He uses an original old, different brand watch and pimps to Jaguar/his design. It is not an original Jaguar watch.

I bought a similar one several years ago. And he offers Jaguar watches to different designs frequently

Thomas

image001.jpg

Thomas, thanks for your warning.

Bob K.

Yes, thanks for that. I wasn’t convinced it was top of my ‘essential’ list anyway!

That is the watch I bought some years ago from the same source- cost me USD 70.-

Nice, not original but still working.

Thomas

There was a seller called Peanuckle that was selling similar watches making no reference to them being fakes however I suspected these were just old watches that had decals stuck on their faces as he had dozens for all different car manufacturers.
When I questioned their originality I didn’t receive a reply. They were also Swiss watches.

To all,

I started this topic as I assumed a certain “historical value” in the “Jaguar” watch as offered on ebay. I guess this forum once again proved its value through the collective knowledge (and sometimes painful experience) on every kind of subject. We now know that there isn’t any historical aspect in these kind of watches. Of course, it doesn’t exclude the possibility that people simply enjoy having such a watch…
Bob K.

graham so how many did you buy!!!

None of those ones. …