Jaguar XJS, driving problem, transmission

The car is already with me. I hope it’s only something harmless. The previous owner normally went, so I was a bit surprised that I did not want at home anymore … Jaguar stood in the garage for 4 years, maybe it matters. Although the previous owner said that he changed the oil in the chest.

Thank you very much for valuable advice

Hello Paul, today I checked the oil level in the transmission and the oil level is below the minimum. I think this is the main reason that you do not want to go. Now the question is, for a moment to try, you can pour oil from above where there is a dipstick to check? do I have to go directly to the transmision?

No other way to fill it up but from the dipstick

1 Like

Yes, as noted, it fluid is added via the tube.

Park on level ground, add fluid, run the car through the gears (shift while on the brakes) … wipe the dipstick for every check - check the fluid again - repeat until full (car running).

Hopefully that’ll fix her.

Keep an eye on why it’s lost fluid: Rear seal, pan seal, trans cooling lines, trans modulator, etc.

~Paul K.

1 Like

And FYI, any Dextron 3 or 4 will work fine. I use Dex/Merc. Also, synthetic is not recommended for these TH400’s, so stick to good ol’ dino-ATF.

yes i did add oil and started driving. Now I have to watch where the oil escapes … I give it to the mechanic also to think that he will see the oil leak. At the bottom under the engine is a wire that is leaking, I just do not know from what ??

These are engine oil cooler pipes/hoses. They are not related to you transmission issues. The leak in this location can also be front crankshaft seal. Or sandwich plate gasket.

Thanks John. It may be as you say, as to transmision, I don’t know why he is running away, I have to undress and see the filter and cover. Do you have any filter number and this cover with gaskets? will I get new ones at all ??

Filter is common AC Delco for the TH400. Get a new filter pickup too (plastic, inexpensive). Make sure to use two orings (most filters come with two), and get a Felpro pan gasket, much better than cheap cork.

1 Like

Lukas77PL,
Since your car has been sitting for a while a lot of transmission fluid may have leaked out through the transmission pan seals onto the floor. This is a common problem. If the car sat for a very long time additional transmission fluid may have drained out of the torque converter into the pan, through the pan seals, and onto the floor. When you start up the car and put it into Drive or Reverse whatever fluid remaina in the pan will get pumped back into the torque converter lowering the amount of fluid in the pan. Your transmission may still be low on fluid and you may need to add more, maybe 1 pint at a time, to get it to the proper level. The correct way to check the transmission fluid is after the car has been driven for a while and is at operating temperature. Then the fluid level should be between the MAX and MIN lines on the HOT side of the dipstick.

Since your car sat for a while it may take a few quarts of transmission fluid to get it to the correct level. Add 1 pint of transmission fluid at a time to avoid overfilling it and wasting fluid if you add too.much and have to drain it.

Does you car run in Drive and Reverse after adding some transmission fluid?

Paul

1 Like

Paul_M_Novak I added less than 1 liter of oil, the engine warmed up and drove 5km and everything is ok. Tomorrow I will see on the measuring cup / dipstick what the level is. He drove forward and backward easily. I will pour in new oil and replace all air, fuel, oil filters and in transmission I think the car will get a new life. Because the engine sounds beautiful.

I still have a question what is the best engine oil ?? I have 145000km on the meter, I thought about 10w40, but what brand Motul? Mobil1? Liqui Moly? what is the best for transmision ??

It’s my understanding that Dexron 3 or 4 is synthetic.

1 Like

LukasP77,
When you check the engine oil level it is best to let the car sit overnight and check it with the engine oil dipstick in the morning with the engine off and cold. When you check the transmission fluid level it is best to check it after driving the car until it is fully warmed up and check it with the transmission fluid dipstick with the engine running.

In both cases the car should be parked on a level surface.

All of this is information and much more is found in the owners manual. You said that you do not have your manuals yet so this should help you until then.

Paul

Paul_M_Novak
Yes, I know, thank you for the helpful information, because I have learned a lot. It’s great that there is a Jaguars forum and people like you with passion because you can learn a lot.
Paul, can you tell me which oils will be the best? to the engine? to transmision?

This is what I use in my TH400. Non-synthetic.

1 Like

Lukas77PL,
Opinions on engine oil vary widely. I prefer to use what Jaguar specified in my owners manual for our mild Southern California climate, Castrol GTX 20w/50. If you live in a cold climate with temperatures down to -20 C then 10w/40 might be better.

Some people prefer synthetic engine oils but I have never used them in any of our five Jaguars, including our two V12 Jaguars.
For the automatic transmission I use Castrol Transmax DEX/MERC fluid.

Paul

I recommend a synthetic engine oil due to varnish issues. Some dino oils will build up varnish inside the engine, while synthetic oils tend to remove such varnish over time. True enough, sometimes the varnish is what’s keeping the engine from leaking oil and removing it causes it to leak more. If that’s the case, though, I recommend fixing the leaks. Varnish on the tappets in the Jaguar V12 can be a problem, causing the tappets to get sticky and sometimes even to cause backfires through the intakes. In fact, at some point early on Jaguar reinforced the air filter housings because these backfires would knock the covers off.

Many recommend frequent oil changes, and if using dino oil perhaps not a bad idea. But if using synthetic oil there’s no reason to change the oil any more often than the manufacturer’s recommended intervals, and you might even get away with less often than that. I typically change the filter twice as often as I change the oil.

2 Likes