Jaguar XK 120 OTS Facia Panels with extra holes

The XK 120 OTS used Facia Panel BD.4606 (LHD) or BD.4634 (RHD) from chassis number 670186 and 660060 onwards. This is an aluminium stamped part fitted over the full width of the dashboard with an opening for the Instrument Panel in the centre.

The design of this Facia Panel was modified with the introduction of the final Instrument Panel C.8395 for the OTS in March 1954. See picture below with the later Panel below. Don’t know whether the same part number was continued after the modification.

My Facia Panel is of the “later” type (correct for an April 1954 car) and has four extra holes at the LHS behind the steering wheel made by one of the PO’s. I guess one was for the rocket launcher at the front and the second for the smoke curtain at the back of the car. Still thinking about the purpose of the others. But in any case, I no longer need these and will close them as they may even show when the Panel is trimmed in leather.

My problem is that there seem to be holes at the LH side that are factory made and I’ve also seen similar holes in other original Panels. One of the holes is “stamped” (not drilled like all the others) and has a flat section (key) in the hole, pointing towards the use of a “rotational” switch type (similar to a later light switch and some wiper switches).
Some Panels have an additional round hole while other Panels have both the round and “keyed” hole. See the above aftermarket panels (CAC) and the panels below where the final one is mine including the (unwanted) extra holes…

Do members recognize these (two) holes including the stamped one with the flat spot? Does anybody know what their purpose was? Is this perhaps for the Fog Lamp Switch that was available as a Factory Option? But this fog lamp switch only needs a round hole…

Bob K.

A lot there but
4 basic dashboards
early LHD early RHD
late LHD late RHD later dash width of hole is less and the funny pressing at the bottom.
The extra hole to the left or right of steering wheel as the case may be is for the heater fan switch introduced before later dash layout
There could also be a hole somewhere on early dash ? for foglight swith as it was not a 4th position on headlight switch
terry

Thanks Terry,

That’s the solution: a hole for the Rheostat Switch when it still was an “Optional Extra” on the OTS.

I checked some dates and it looks like the Heater Fan Rheostat (C.4543 and Lucas 78262B) became available as an Optional Extra in March 1950 and was used until September 1951 when the heater became standard equipment, with the Rheostat now mounted on the Instrument Panel. The same Rheostat had been introduced as standard equipment on the XK 120 FHC two months earlier (July 1951).

As the hole for the Rheostat Switch is still present on the later Facia Panels, we assume it was part of the factory tooling and not modified/removed when the changes at the underside of the central opening of the Facia Panel were introduced in March 1954.

So my April 1954 Facia Panel (below) is correct, apart from the four extra holes made by a PO.

Bob K.

Bob,
interesting pic of the dash panel Rheostat switch hole definitely the heater can you confirm the what you have marked as the Fog Lamp switch is a factory hole? this is one I have never seen before.
thanks terry

Terry,

We have seen a number of Facia panels BD.4606 (LHD) and BD.4634 (RHD): some have 1 hole whereas others have 2 holes near the hole for the steering column. The other holes at the opposite side are for the Grab Rail (no discussion on those).

The panels with only one hole have it sometimes on the place of the “rheostat hole” (closer to the steering column) but occasionally also on a position further to the side, away from the steering column.

See also the interesting picture I found on the C.A.C. site with 5 different Facia Panels hanging on a nail at the wall (picture 90 degree turned). You will notice that the logic in the hole pattern near the steering column is difficult to find at first sight, but I give it a try.

From top to bottom (all according information from CAC):

1. Early RHD panel had one hole, in my opinion intended for the “Optional Extra” Heater Rheostat.
  2. Early LHD panel with one hole, same position as above (mirrored) for optional Rheostat
  3. Later LHD panel with one hole but closer to the side (possibly for the Fog Lamp switch?)
  4. Two identical later RHD panels with two holes near the steering column: one with the “flat key” and one round, further to the side of the car.

I also found another picture of a later LHD Facia Panel with 2 holes (origin unknown). This one has apparently been used as there are more “screw” holes.

The hole pattern in my April 1954 LHD Facia Panel is exactly the same as the latter and identical to the last two panels as shown by CAC (which are RHD).

I’m unable to “proof” that Jaguar would stamp an additional round hole next to the “keyed” hole and that the round hole is intended for the Fog Lamp switch. But what would the extra hole be used for?

Bob K.

thanks all the CAC are repros so not a definitive answer
given the 2 later ones have elongated dash mount holes and duplicated which they I am sure never had I would discount them as a reference
The fog switch my guess would be in the same horizontal line as heater rheostat hole
grab handle holes are always in LH and RH side regardless of car