Jaguar XK 150 Copper core cables and electronic ignition, good working?

Hello guys, I am about to buy two electronic ignition systems, one for my 3.8L engine of the
e type and just to build in, to keep the originality, an electronic unit, but can this unit workts
with the copper core cables with resistance spark plug caps?
I read some where that ii is not done.
Please respond on this issue.
Frank.

The electronic system is for the Jaguar XK 150. Build in type.

The answer may depend on what system you’re going with. Some electronic systems will malfunction and fail with solid copper wire cable. Pertronix for one warns against pairing their modules with solid copper. I’m running my E-type with Pertronix and twisted copper cables fitted with Champion resistor caps.

Nicolas, thank you, yes I saw the Pertronix system one time and wonder if it was a good system.
I want the engine to be original outside with screw in cables, but those cables had to be with the copper core to connect them in the distributor cap. Bought nice green cable and resistor caps to fit in the conduit, 7 meter. So twisted copper is better…
So it will look perfect later on.
Frank.

1 Like

Struggliing with the idea of originality and upgrades. Copper core and electronic device, is difficult. Working every day to finish after 8 months, my wife ask me when we go on holiday.
Frank.

1 Like

My advice which comes from bitter experience is to keep away from Petronix.

When it fails they are not interested.

What wire is recommended for use with a Pertronix diz?

From the Pertronix Website:

Suppression style or spiral wound spark plug wires must be used.

Spiral wound cables mate easily with the screws in the Champion bow tie resistor caps.

I’m quite happy - after 10K miles and zero adjustment since day one - with my Pertronix dizzy. Wish I had another one for my 120.

Want my Mallory Unilite?

:smiley:

I know nothing about them, Paul.

Its a good dizzy: fully electronic, no points to fiddle with, better than a standard dizzy. Nothing as fancy or as adjustable as a pertronix, but damn near bulletproof.

Interested, but at the moment need sleep … will pick this up later.

G’night, all.

1 Like

Paul, years ago I bought the Lumention device in my Jaguar XJ6, never had troublle with it.
Drove at least 30 years with the electronic system and had the car for 42 years when I sold the car for a good price, needed to buy parts for my e type project that was standing still for almost 30 years.
Frank.

Well nearly finish the XK 150 3.4L engine, renewed everything inside, so this engine is new.
No electronic jet, maybe the car is positief earth, so the issue can be solved later. Ordered points and dome nuts, I did not had egnough nice one’ s.
Frank.

Finished today.

1 Like