Jaguar XK120 Throttle Stop

just to fiddle with what was “as from the factory”…
SB112 October 1952 stated: “Cars scheduled for export are fully wired for flashing indicators and have relay units fitted. Owing to shortage of
supplies Tung-Sol unit part number 241D is not included for certain countries, and it is the responsibility of the
Distributor to ensure that unit is obtained locally and fitted prior to delivery.” (my note…so some cars, for some countries would have been dispatche without the 241D fitted.)
also re Headlamps: “Messrs Joseph Lucas Limited will in future supply a conversion set part number 553962 to enable
British type head lamps to be converted for the use of U.S.A. type sealed beam units. These conversion sets will
also be obtainable from Lucas Electrical Services of New York and Los Angeles.” (my note: so from factory would not have been converted.)
And racing windscreens and cowls were supplied with SE OTS (not installed) until Sep '53 SB133.
And…the much disussed travel spares kit for UK cars…SB122A.

and…rear reflectors and modified tail lamp lens with built in reflectors SB150A: 1st October 1954 for all cars to be provided with two rear reflectors." Cars supplied on and after that
date were to have reflectors “incorporated in the glass of the tail lamps”. There was a detailed set of 7 criteria for
the reflectors to meet (distances, etc.). Details were provided for fitting reflectors to all past models. They were to
be obtainable from Jaguar spare parts departments. The part no. for the XK120 was C.8746 (Lucas type RER 5)
with self tapping screw. They were to be fitted to the boot lid, with the hole 1 3/8" in from the edge and 3 1/4" up
from the bottom edge of the boot. They were approximately in line with the bottom line of the rear license plate.
just interesting notes…to “as when dispatched from the factory”.
Nick

Rob_Reilly

Apr '21

A little more to the story of the throttle restrictor.

It is described in Service Bulletin 66 from April 1950 for XK120.
Perhaps it was not on earlier cars.
It is also described in Service Bulletin 69 from July 1950 for Mark V.
You know what lead-foot pedal-to-the-metal drivers those Mark V owners were.

Pretty much the same wording in both, to prevent excessive speed during early life, secured to the pedal by a setscrew, locking wire and lead seal, to be removed at the first service after 750 miles, notification to all distributors and dealers, and that they should inform all casual traders.

Hello all,
I would like to bring up the subject of Throttle Stops fitted to the XK120 at the factory and retained until the first service / oil change at a Dealer and then removed to allow full travel of the Accelerator Pedal. Does anyone else have information or examples of these parts? I have seen one original, but not more. Please feel free to chime in…

Here is what an original Throttle Stop looked like

Well I was amazed when this article came up.
Anyway, in the search for a MRO blow me down in the box was this! I think there is some lettering on the lead seal.

Very nice find, Terry. I have one of Karl Robertson’s throttle stops, which was apparently copied from an original. Karl’s reproduction throttle stop does appear pretty much identical in construction to your original. I was interested in seeing how the throttle stops were originally installed. There’s a “spine” on the back of the throttle pedal with a 1/4 inch hole - not tapped with threads.

The “easy” way to install the throttle stop would have been on the brake pedal side of the spine. The 1/4 inch set screw would come from the transmission tunnel side of the spine so it could be screwed into the threaded hole in the throttle stop. This would allow the tip of the drilled setscrew to be “relatively” visible for “easy” safety wiring. See photo.

However, because of the way the two pieces of Karl’s (and now your original) throttle stop were welded together, they will not lay flat against the spine of the pedal on the “easy” side. It appears the throttle stops must have been installed on the transmission tunnel side of the pedal in order to lay flat against the spine. This means the setscrew would go in from the brake pedal side where the tiny hole for safety wiring would have been impossible to see.

So my conclusion is the throttle stops were likely installed and safety wired on a bench before the throttle assembly itself was bolted into the car.

1 Like

Thanks Terry!
The famous Throttle Stop!! Thanks for the backup mate!
Guess what? I have them!!!