Jaguar XK120 Trunk Strap BD 3437 - For holding Tool Bag

Hello Rob,
Seeing as how your car is an earlier XK120 model, would you have any pictures of the Trunk Strap in your car? I would assume it would have a Black Trunk Strap. Thanks a lot.
Karl Robertson
248) 766 9141

Sorry, there was no strap when the car came to me, nor any screw, so I have a repro from Liverpool Motors in PA.

BTW Service Bulletin #88 is about some cars having a screw too long, but not all cars. It may be that the shorter screw continued for some time after that. But it is still unknown when the pop rivet replaced the screw.

We have no evidence that there was a long and a short screw, but thats possible, but maybe the problem was also something to do with what now seems to be the variable position of the screws location, so sometimes in a position that could damage tyre side wall, and other times not…

Actually don’t think I have seen any pics of screw or pop-rivet on the inside-of-guard / wing / fender nor have a feel for relative position of tyre side wall; but surely a potentially worse problem for those with radial ply tyres fitted, let alone anything wider than original 6.00" which is only 152mm albeit I understand recommended radial equivalent is in fact 175, but most people now fit 185… Lucky few XK120s are now DRIVEN HARD, more touring these days.
But another caution for those who see fit to use oversize tyres…

Yes, I interpreted SB88 to be in the nature of a product recall, that there had been an error on the part of the assembly line worker, using the wrong too-long screw.

Here is the text of SB88:

IMPORTANT
It has been found that on some XK 120 bodies metal screws of unsuitable length have been used to fasten internal body fittings and protrude into the rear wheel arch, and it is thought that in conditions of extreme roll when cornering fast they might in some cases foul the tyre.
Any screws protruding too far should be cut or replaced by round headed bolts fitted in the reverse direction with a nut and lock nut inside the boot.
Distributors and Dealers are advised to check this point on all cars sold in their area immediately.”

Right you are Rob,

Should have reread SB88 instead of relying on memory :sob:

See below…

But still think its position is a contributing factor/consideration…

The actual screw is not identified by the SB, so our best guess based on location was that it referred to this tool roll strap screw, and severe body roll on a right hand turn. This SB is an instruction to dealers and shops, what to do if you find one, not instructions to the factory floor, which would have been in a different form.

Unfortunately the screw and cup washer are only mentioned in the alloy OTS body section, and no fastener at all in the steel OTS section, nor FHC or DHC supplements.

I’m not convinced that SB Number 88 was written to address a single screw that attached the leather tool roll strap to the left wall of the boot. The service bulletin addresses screws in the plural “on some XK120 bodies.” Furthermore, the prescribed fix is to install “round headed bolts fitted in the reverse direction with a nut and lock nut inside the boot.”

The service bulletin fix appears to describe the multiple fasteners attaching the P-Clips and wiring harness inside the boot. The fasteners for the P-Clips are intended to be installed with the nut and lock washer inside the boot and with the head of the screw inside the wheel arch. It’s possible that a number of XK120s had left the factory with the P-Clip fasteners installed backwards (with the securing nuts inside the wheel arch) creating a potential for them to “foul the tyre.”

Another point of interest is that Urs Schmid (Vol. 2, page 87) appears to contradict the Spare Parts Catalogue about whether the leather tool roll strap was secured by a self tapping screw and cup washer on the alloy XK120s. Specific to the alloy cars he states, “A leather strap and buckle which held the tool roll was riveted to the LH side wall just in front of the petrol filler cover plate.”

When you think about it, each of the other tool-related clips (those securing the jack, wheel brace, grease gun, etc.) were secured by pop rivets. So why would the factory make an exception for the leather tool roll strap and secure it with a screw?

Here are a couple of pictures of the Black Strap to go along with the later type Brown Strap.

Jaguar XK120 Trunk Strap #5

Jaguar XK120 Trunk Strap #6

Unfortunately the SB is written vaguely, and the typist may not have even been made aware of which screws or how many screws were to be indicated by her words. One might have said, “On some 100 cars the tool strap screws were too long.” Or if the problem was with P-clip screws, the SB could have said, “Take them out and put them in the other way.” But it didn’t. It said cut or replace.

We could look at it another way. What, in the absence of pictures and specific screw identifications, would have been obvious to dealer’s mechanics, when handed this instruction to check customer’s cars for screws likely to cut the tire? How would they solve the problem with the fasteners stocked in their shop?

Urs didn’t get everything right, and English was not his primary language. His books were written in German and then translated. I seem to recall he sometimes used unusual words when responding on the forum, as if he was using a translator.

On mine the hole for the tool strap fastener is too small for a pop rivet, could only have been a sheet metal screw.
All my other tool clips in the boot are also attached with small sheet metal screws, except the jack ratchet handle clips, which have pop rivets.

Once again with these minutiae questions on the 120, we can’t know for certain, and can only collect observations on unrestored cars and try to form a best guess.

Mike,
Urs’ two Volumes are not 100% perfect, but still far far superior than anything else on XK120 originality, that in the light of detailed critique over the past 20+ years; Volume 1 German edition published in Feb 1999 - I received the draft for comment/input in 1998 - and subsequent English edition in late 1999, you can still count on one hand the number of errors found, but there will always be detailed omissions. One of my major contributions was to do with all this Tool Roll and Tool Kit detail, but back then only a passing comment on these tool roll straps and their fastening…
But by Volume 2 published 10 years later in late 2010 Urs by then at least had found/pictured a BD.3437 Tool Roll leather strap, see page 90 Vol 2 clearly pop-rivetted in place, thus I suspect the basis for the p.87 reference to ‘rivetted’, albeit now an ‘error’ given it is quoted under the "Aluminium OTS’ heading…
But things have moved on - and certainly with regards to all aspects of XK120 tool kits - but still a few minor loose ends… Thus my current focus on the black versus brown BD.3437 leather strap (totally different, not just the colour), and the self-Tapping Screw versus Pop Rivet fastener… I really still have only minimal hard EVIDENCE, so as a starting point I have suggested both changes coincided (Black belt/self tapper to Brown belt/pop-rivet), but have no proof at all if that was actually the case, and always well aware of the January 1951 SB.88 suggesting a possible timing for the change, albeit I certainly now note well Rob Reilly’s ‘proof’ (Rob is a very reliable/knowledgeable researcher) that his Nov 1951 XK120 clearly shows as having had a self tapping screw fitted, albeit screw (and strap) are both long lost. There is no question at all that there were black straps secured by self-tapping screws/cup washers on early cars (I do have exceptional good photos of original strap, screw and washer), but the big uncertainty is exactly when did the change happen, and did both strap/screw change happen together or not…

But it gets difficult when red-herrings are thrown into the debate - Karl’s photo of his reproduction Black belts was a real surprise - as his photo shows them being the same as his brown belts apart from colour, so was this now a third belt variant given ‘my’ black belts are totally different… so I quizzed him directly, and I have to say was somewhat relieved that no, its not now a third original belt variant, but was instead just his best guess that the black belt was the same as the later brown belt.

All my evidence, strong and not so strong, re black belts and being secured by a self-tapping screw pre-date Rob’s Nov 1951 date…

So I am still looking for/seeking reliable evidence/proof of what is fitted black or brown belt, screw or rivet in 1950-1951-1952 XK120s, as its impossible to yet be confidently conclusive with the minimal reliable evidence at hand…

My aim is to have this all fully resolved/pictured/detailed before I next update my published writings on XK120 Tool Kits - its the law of diminishing returns, but in my initial published effort on XK120 Tool Kits in the XK GAZETTE back in 1998/9 I didn’t even mention these tool roll belts, nor indeed all the clips and fasteners used to secure various other tools - but all this will be now well covered… , as the interest is certainly there…

PS. I have just been liaising with owner of an exceptionally original/low mileage OTS, and his Tyre Pump clips are ‘abnormally’ held in place by Self-Tapping screws, not the expected Pop Rivets… if it wasn’t such an exceptional original car (and less than 20,000 miles) I would have dismissed this one-off (so far), so still a few loose ends…

My question here is - why would the “early” Black Leather strap holding the Tool Bag be any different from the “later” Brown Leather strap doing the same job? Not only that, but I believe both Straps share the same 5/8 inch Center Bridge Rectangular Buckle. We have quite a few examples of the Brown Strap. Shows 2 Longitudinal depressions along the edges. There have been no apparent sightings of a surviving Black Strap, with or without twin depressions. I had a 50% chance of getting it correct! If someone can tell me the “correct” appearance of the 5/8 inch Black Strap, please do. I will be very pleased to put this one to rest!

They may well do the same job, but that doesn’t mean they need to be of the same dimensions or use the same buckle. I have an original Black belt in my collection, plus photos of others installed still in their original position - using a self tapping screw.

I have emailed you directly and advised that, and offered to further help you in your efforts to make authentic reproduction belts, both brown and black….

The only detail I am still trying to resolve is exactly when did they change from the original black belt/buckle secured in place by a self-tapping screw, to the later different dimensions/buckle brown belt, secured by a pop-rivet, and indeed if the black to brown belt, and the screw to rivet change was co-incident, so still looking for original 1950/51/52 cars/photos of belts and fasteners…

Sorry Roger, but I have not received the email from you about the Trunk Straps. I am anxious to see what the Black Belt looks like. Thank you.

Karl Robertson

Check your direct emails in-box Karl… , and if you cant find it the lengthy email already sent, send me a direct email with your preferred return address, and I will resend to that address if you want further help on this subject of reproduction tool roll strap BD3437…

My personal interest is anything more on fasteners used, and demarcation between earlier Black belt and later brown belt…

G’day Roger,
I have not received a email from you about the Black Trunk Strap yet. And I would appreciate some images to go with the Strap. Thank you.
Best regards,

Karl

Check your emails - it has been resent to your advised address - twice now.
I will not respond to any more of your requests on this subject on this public forum - please contact me direct if you want any further assistance…

Here is another Open Issue related to the Tool Bag Retention Strap located in the Trunk of XK120 cars. I have seen pictures of the Brown variant from various owners. To this date, have not seen a picture of a Black Strap. If any of you out there knows of one or has a picture of one of these elusive Trunk Compartment Straps in Black, please let me know. Also would appreciate it if you could include the Year and Serial Number of your car for historic reference only. This might help define when the Jaguar Company moved from Black to Brown Straps. Please include any details of the Belt you have, so I can correctly define the 5/8" Buckle, Rivet and Belt details. Thank you.

Does anyone have a picture or an actual Black Trunk Compartment Strap?

My original from a 54 xk120 OTS - I am the 2nd owner for 50 years.