Jaguar XK150 Ride Quality

Interested in an XK 150 , as yet have not driven one . Speaking to someone who once owned one , he advised me against buying one as the ride was so poor he ended up selling it .
Comments on the ride and comfort of these cars would be appreciated by present owners and if the ride quality is poor ,what they did to improve it .
Kim R.

the bloke is talking rubbish he probably really wanted a new F type and thought the 150 would be the same. I have owned and used XK jaguars 120, 140 and 150’s for 45 years both as collector cars and daily use, no they don’t have AC and electric windows but are great cars to drive

1 Like

Thanks Terry , That’s all I need to know . Have just sold our 63 AH 3000 after owning it for 20 years and looking for something different this time around .

Kim R.

Compared to a Healey the ride is fine. Compared to an E-type, it’s fairly ordinary. The front is OK but the beam axle suffers in sprung vs unsprung comparison.

My wife came round Europe with me in E-types but prefers the look of the 150. She also loved Inspector Morse. I bought a red Mk2 to see what she thought. Much as she loved the style, she had to admit the ride was not kind to her bad back so I flipped it. Obviously the XK150 and Mk2 are slightly different but similar enough to say ‘try before you buy’ ?

Peter,

We also had a 61 Mk 11 3.8 which we sold a few months ago just after the Healey. Both cars went to Holland . I was happy with the ride of both cars . >From the comments I have received I think I would have no problems with an XK150. Also have a 2012 XK convertible and an X350 XJ if a change of pace is required .

Kim R.

PeterCrespin Patron

June 2

Compared to a Healey the ride is fine. Compared to an E-type, it’s fairly ordinary. The front is OK but the beam axle suffers in sprung vs unsprung comparison.

My wife came round Europe with me in E-types but prefers the look of the 150. She also loved Inspector Morse. I bought a red Mk2 to see what she thought. Much as she loved the style, she had to admit the ride was not kind to her bad back so I flipped it. Obviously the XK150 and Mk2 are slightly different but similar enough to say ‘try before you buy’ ?

Just for another perspective:
My early 120 has softer torsion bars and leaf springs (well greased) than the later cars, lever rear shocks, bias ply tires, and the original wool padded seats.
On long interstate (motorway/autobahn) travels, I find I have to take a rest after 2 hours or my back will feel it.
If you test drive one, check the tire pressures, and the state of the grease in the leaf springs. Those can make a difference in the ride quality.

Kim, that guy is nuts , the ride in a 150 is very comfy, even better if you have radial tires, and make sure the shocks are recent as original ones could be toast.

Kim:

I agree with Morris. While my experience was only limited to driving a 300 mile journey in a 150 FHC many years ago, but I recall it was very comfortable and a big improvement over my 120 DHC. Not sure what the former owner was expecting who gave you the advice?

Chris.

Thanks Morris . I do a lot of road trips for up to10 days , never had a problem with our 63 Healey and 61 Mk 11 comfort wise , so think an XK 150 will be just fine . Be a good stablemate to our 2012 jag XK convertible and Jag X350 XJ.
Kim.

Kim

Just completed a 2300 km run on a classic car event in British Columbia in 4 days 3 weeks ago, a little shoulder stiffness. But wife complained a lot about the non- heater.

Morris.

Kim R.

I have a’57 xk150 coupe project if your interested. Theres an ad posted or call me at 913-269-3722.

Chris Steineger
Knasas City, KS

Thanks Chris but looking for a driving car .