Jerry Mouton, RIP

I had lunch and dinner with him on the first day of the BSOL.
He welcomed me last year on my first oil leak…and he made me feel so welcomed and comfortable this time as well.
I remember his last words at lunch asking me with a smile in front of my wife… how was I able to convince my wife to come.
I don’t have enough kind words to say about him and my thoughts and prayers are with his family.
God bless …and thank you for all you have taught me and for welcoming me to the Oil Leakers.
Abe and Dawn

I just heard from Jerry’s wife Kate. Their son James is driving MIK back home, and will stay with Kate for a while afterwards.

For those in the SF Bay area, there will be a service on Monday 9/25 from 9AM to about noon in Palo Alto. There will be an “official” announcement next week, so I will make sure details get posted at that time. I definitely will be going, as I expect will many others from the area.

A very sad day indeed…

Regards,
Ray L.

2 Likes

I heard about this yesterday and it was traumatic to say the least. Jerry was such a great friend to all of us. I honestly don’t think I’d have my car still if it wasn’t for his enthusiastic support and mentoring. There were many times after I bought my “driver” that turned into a full restoration project that I was ready to toss in the towel. Jerry wouldn’t have any of it. I have reams of emails from back in the day where Jerry shared everything he knew and encouraged me to press on. More than once on visits to TX he helped me work on problems that I just didn’t want to tackle. He was always eager to turn a wrench.

He had a passion for these cars and life in general and his passion was infectious. We were all so relieved after his recent heart surgery and it sure seemed like he was back in the cockpit and ready to motor for another 20 years. This really came out of the blue. In addition to cars, Jerry had strong opinions about wine, BBQ, politics, economics, and technology and could have spirited discussions about all of them, but he was always respectful. I was lucky to call him my friend in so many ways. My heart goes out to his family at this time.

1 Like

Our condolences to the Mouton family. RIP Jerry.
Chris
Cape Town

1 Like

I am still trying to absorb the news from this morning.
I first knew Jerry from JAG-Lovers and when I moved to the Bay Area I was pleased to find that Jerry lived close by and was in the JAG Club, Since that date I have seen Jerry many times and sought his help. it was a privilege to take part in the 2016 Oil Leak and share adventures with Jerry. Earlier this year he introduced me to Autocross with a drive in MIK. I last saw Jerry at a club event at the end of August just after he had gotten back from his Eclipse trip. Jerry was an very very generous and super pleasant gentleman. Jerry will be sorely missed in many ways.
We should meet at Alice’s to honor Jerry and share his memory.
RIP Jerry

1 Like

Sad news. Godspeed to Jerry and his family.

I’ve PMed Jerry’s account here, and via email extending our condolences, and offering to post any information about memorials or such here on JL.

1 Like

Agreed Les. Fortuitous that Neville’s visit motivated the last get together at Alice’s where we all had a chance to see Jerry and enjoy his company. Such a great guy, who obviously touched a lot of people. He’ll be missed.

1 Like

Hard to realise, he was such a dynamic contributor to all concerns around here so guessing he was the same in all other daily life aspects.
Will miss him here, may he rest in peace on whichever road he is driving now.
Sincerely condoléances to family and community.

1 Like

The word gentleman could have been coined for Jerry - a gentle man. Since life is a 100% terminal condition and our time is brief, his death is sad rather than surprising, his exit stylish and understated.

It is technically possible that others amongst us will leave the stage fast asleep during an E-Type driving tour. The ever-methodical Jerry had the class to do so quietly in bed and not behind the wheel :slight_smile:

“Laissez les bon temps rouler” was his frequent sign-off. Couldn’t put it better myself.

3 Likes

Peter, that is perfect. Expresses exactly what I wish I could have written.

1 Like

I just returned from a business trip and read this shocking news. Like so many of us, I never had the privilege to meet Jerry in person, but felt that I knew him as a friend. His knowledge was encyclopedic and when I asked a dumb question, he never answered in a belittling way. He was a true gentleman who will be missed by us on the forum and I’m sure all that knew him. My condolences to his family and friends.

1 Like

Thanks, Ray: a prior commitment will keep me from attending.

Please pass along my condolences to his family.

Aw man… That sucks :frowning:

As we get older, we hear of someone passing away. Sad to hear most of the time. When I saw that Jerry passed, it was a lot more than sad. I knew Jerry since the early 2000s and had met up with him numerous times on both the west coast and the east coast. We are all on our way to the eternal dirt nap, I just hate to hear when someone like Jerry goes. He will be missed.

1 Like

Oh boy, what a shock! I’ve been away from the forum for a few days due to the hurricane and only just saw this sad news.

Jerry was one of the main guys here, I think, and I had many conversations with him because our cars were similar. He will be greatly missed and it won’t be quite the same here any more.

Never met Jerry but I know him. This brings a tear to my eye.

It already feels different, Clive. A vacuum of sorts.

How is it one can come to regard someone he’s never met as a friend? That was about to be rectified. Last PM I have from Jerry was on planning his and Kate’s trip up to Niagara, I having “lost” our wager on E-type pricing. I was so looking forward to him driving my E down through some of my favourite back roads. Sad, indeed.

It is sad indeed. Jerry will be missed by all of us. My best wishes go out to his family.
Bob_S

Condolences to the family and all you guys who knew him personally…I have always felt an affinity with you Americans, your candour and willingness to help with problems, I truly feel bereaved…

My feelings exactly. his e type will miss him also

1 Like