Jig for Lifting Rear

I noticed in the Jag factory repair literature it mentions NOT to just stick a floor jack and try to lift the back end with the jack plate against the rear differential, like with most cars. I assume this is due to the “floating rear suspension” configuration w. multiple u-joints. Lifting the car directly against the differential may play havoc with these joints and/or the differential. :thinking:

If a jack is used to lift the rear, the literature indicates a jig must be fashioned out of a section of 2 x 4 board with a cut out in the middle to go around the bottom of the differential so that the only points of pressure are on either side of same, against the rear cross-member only.

I was wondering if anyone who has constructed one of these jigs would care to share the dimensions of same here, i.e. how wide and deep should the cut out be to go around the differential? :smile: Once I have those dimensions I can (hopefully) have someone at Lowe’s cut me up a board to same.

I just stick a one foot long 2x4 on my jack and lift up by the cage. I’m assuming that then pushes up on the subframe mounts, and lifts the body.

1 Like

I think @John_Walker made one for his E Type, which would be similar.

Paul, the general idea is to prevent damage to the bottom of the “cage” which runs below the differential.
This jig is in the archives somewhere, IF you can find it!
I keep a paper file of “Useful Things To Remember” and took a photo for you!

1 Like

Atty: Dallas:
This is an easy one…I did it myself… Harbor Freight sells a hydraulic platform for around $125.00.
The rear end cage fits perfectly and as you pump the bolt holes line-up perfectly. The platform has many other uses in your garage…
Regards, Sloth

You can probably pick up some scrap 2 x 4 pieces at some construction site. Get some short pieces around the sizes shown in the picture posted, and screw nail or wood glue them together.

Thanks, Dave (and everyone). How thick is the board that jig was made from, btw, if you know?

Is that the “hydraulic lifting cart” they sell (two types) ? :confused:

Why is “IF” capitalized. The advanced search function allows you to search anything.

and here is the album:

http://www.jag-lovers.org/snaps/snap_view.php3?id=1459365464

Note that the large image won’t display properly because the administrators are still working on migrating the 100,000+ pictures from the old site to the new one.

Good question the platform is about 36inches sq. And a arm raises the table.

The price when I bought it…125…

Sloth

I have a permanent fitment of a 1"x1/4"x 9.5" lg. steel flat that is bolted on the rear edge of the frame using the rear 3 bolts.

By “cage”, do you mean the “transmission drive shaft under-body cover plate” or possibly the “drive line cover shield plate”? :confused:

Wow … that was one heck of a vintage thread from 4 years ago (back when we had a lot more posters to the XJS forum, apparently). Sad that it ended in a nasty quarrel. btw, whatever happened to “Dr. Quail” … ltns him on here. :confused:

1 Like

By “cage” I mean the assembly that wraps around the complete IRS unit. The piece that can get damaged is called a “tie plate” I believe.

I have your alloy version Norman.

O.K… Sounds like more “Jag anatomy” for me yet to learn … :man_teacher:

My solution for tie plate replacement

Edit:
Bottom piece is aluminum plate it’s total thickness is based on the outer perimeter flange.
I may countersink the mounting holes if I can find proper countersink bolts

3 Likes