Johns Cars Quarterbreed kit questions

Ok, I finally decided to just bite the bullet and upgrade to a 700r4. I want to know whether Johns Cars still supplies new kits? and does he still want you to pay with a money order or cashiers check by snail mail? I know his site still says so but I figured I’d ask just in case. Also, I know that there a couple of threads about the kit already but most are very old. is there anyone out there right now that has a kit installed? how do you like it? specifically a series 3.

Hi William,

Yes, John still sells the conversion kit for 4.2 engines. I bought one from him earlier this year (2019) and installed it, and am very happy with the end result. Still wanted payment via a certified cheque. Once an order is underway, he will send you a form for your car’s particulars to ensure the right fitting kit is included. My car is a series 2, so mechanical speedo cable drive on the trans end - not sure if yours will be as well. Throttle linkages will differ form mine also due to your injection. He does have everything figured out for each model car though. Consider getting one of his ready to go driveshafts, as a shop to weld on the GM yoke to yours may be hard to find, and the balancing of the two piece shaft is something a lot of shops won’t be able to do. His option for a one-piece shaft is attractive, though it makes you wonder why Jaguar spec’d a two piece originally. The only step that gave me any trouble was the drilling of the body for the front-PS adapter plate mount - the part needs a template made for it to properly locate the hole positions. If you get a lock-up converter, you have to decide where to locate the lock-out defeat switch. Too busy under the ski slope, so I fitted it in the rear window switch plate just behind the center console, still easy to reach. Not like you use it much, and easy to get another plate and restore to original if needed. You will have to source a GM starter, dip stick tube, shift cable, GM tranny yoke - (if you go that route), and converter (confer with him for a stall rating recommendation), all of which he will provide part numbers for. Rock Auto had most of this stuff.
If you start the conversion and have any questions, feel free to contact me.
Brad

1 Like

Sorry Will, forgot a few things:
Source the tranny from the latest car available, like a 90 - 92 Camaro, it can be a 4L60 as opposed to a 700R4, just not the 4L60E as this requires a computer to coordinate shifts. A post '88 unit gets the strongest, best version of the tranny. A 4L60 will need the tailstock removed to install a speedo drive gear, but so will any 700R4 to get the correct drive gear in place. I got a rebuilt unit from a builder in Windsor ON, who builds them periodically. Not much more expensive than getting a used unit re-built. He builds in the lock-up feature as opposed to John’s external unit.

2 Likes

Thank you!!! Super helpful information! I have sourced the transmission from a local builder and just need to get it in my hands for some details like tailshaft length and such to fill in the order sheet for JohnsCars. Good to hear that he is still active, I was alittle worried that i would send a cashiers check and never hear from him.

I plan to buy the driveshaft he offers. Do i still need to get a GM yoke?

You don’t need the yoke. It will be on the Johns Cars driveshaft. Plug and play.

Ok thanks, thats what I thought.

Hey I have a question does the starter mount to the adaptor plate? I don’t have it yet (order sheet and cashiers check is in the mail) but I have the transmission and starter and it seems that it does not mount to the transmission but to the engine block on most OEM applications.

Don’t know how this kit works. But earlier SBC’s used a starter that mounted to the bell housing ala XK style.

And a bit back I saw a You tube piece describing a plate to insert and use the bell housing method when the holed in the block were damaged. describing an adapter repair plate.

Might check the Broken Kitty site on line, and see what it says as to the kit contents and needs…

Jag bell housing or SBC unit? That is the key… I think.

Carl

Starter mounts to the J/C adapter plate. I had to use 5 of his shims to get the drive gear teeth to not scream with not enough clearance to the flywheel teeth, but not hard to insert more shims. Mounting bolts available from GM dealers (have a knurled shank for precise lock-in-place alignment)

Thank you! Does the kit come with starter bolts? or do I have to get some? its not super clear on Johns site.

You would have to source the starter bolts from GM. Most of the part numbers are on his site somewhere. I had to source a few things from Rock Auto - like the starter, clip to hold on the speedo drive gear, TV cable, converter bolts, Y clip to hold in speedo drive coupling, (John should supply the plastic speedo drive gear itself and the speedo drive coupling - he did for me) ) Also source the dip stick tube, and the rear tranny mount. Your tranny may come with some of there things - that’s one benefit to buying a tranny out of someone’s car - usually these items are thrown in. For example - the converter access cover plate needs to be sourced - and altered slightly to clear the new starter nose.

Were I making such a conversion and was short these “minor” items, I’d visit the local
junk yard"!

They are fun any way.

At one time, I fancied entering the business, when I returned from service. For myself,the itch of enrtrepreneurship was there. A tire shop and “junk” yard was for sale. In the desert town of Casa Grande Arizona. with my GI benefits, I just might have “pulled it off”.

Not a time to risk. I had a wife and new child! Got busy and got a steady job. It became a 50 year career…

Carl
Carl

Thanks! I have everything else like the TV cable, speedo stuff. i’ll get some NOS bolts off ebay.

I know all too well how fun the junkyard can be! I saved this XJ from it, it took about 2 years to get it restored and re-titled and registered. I also got my V12 from a local yard. But a bit too lazy to go just for some bolts.

You may not need the knurled shoulder bolts!!

True, the ones that mount the starter to the SBC engine block attach verticaly. Those are the later SBC’s. My LT1’s starter is attached that way.

Earlier SBC’s attach the starter to the ell housing and the bolts a horizontal. Same as the XK. My 79 IHC used the "big’ earlier Delco starter. Horizontal bolts. And an early 283 SBC in my “lumped” Willys pickup, horizontal. No knurls…

Take it from there…

Carl