June 1948 MKIV Saloon Window Thickness?

Hello All,

Here’s one for the pundits. :wink:

The two front windows of my car have glass which is 6mm (you can work out the Imperial), while the rear windows are 5mm thick. Is this common? All the windows are original from new on the car. I’m simply interested to know if this is standard Jaguar practice (whatever that might be :thinking:) from 1948?

Kind regards to all,

Tim

Hi Tim,

See if you can read the date codes on the Triplex etchings:
http://www.bobine.nl/jaguar/12-body/triplex-glass-manufacturing-date-codes/

Peter

Just measured all the glass (which is original) on my 1948 1.5ltr saloon - the date codes on them are all 1947 except one rear glass which is 1946. With a micrometer checking all points of the glass mine vary from 5mm to 6mm at different spots - some of the edges being slightly on the 6mm size than the middle areas. I understood that they were nominally 1/4 inch glass, but perhaps when through the toughening process or not so accurate glass sheet production in the 1940’s that’s why there is a small thickness difference? On my car there appears no noticeable difference between front and back windows. I have seen UK cars with Triplex branded glass and other cars with Lancegate glass but I didn’t record the actual year of these MKIV and MKV cars I looked around with my note pad and camera!!

Hi Peter,

Thank you very much for the website. The windows are all 1948 Triplex! All very odd the variation in thicknesses, but then glass manufacturing was more an art than an exacting science, as is is today.

By the way, I have found an excellent sample of the Lavender Grey on a hidden section of the car and it is the lovely green hued colour as in the photo you kindly sent me of Allan Crouch’s car. I’m going to proceed with that colour now.

Best wishes,

Tim

Hello David,

Thank you for going to the trouble of measuring the window thicknesses on your car for me. My windows are Triplex. I can’t explain why the fronts are both 6mm and the rears are 5mm? I guess the quirky nature of manufacturing is another attraction of the cars?

Best wishes,

Tim

Unfortunately the glass supplied now is not the original thickness, Probably due to metirification, This should cause a problem in the side windows bt can be something to consider with w’screen, rear window[ lthough that’s unlikely to need replacement and the NDVs. These are retained with glazing rubber and the thickness rubber that worked with thicker glass may not grip thinner glass
S to markings… early SS w ere marked " Giltedge toughened" , later SS were " Lancegaye toughened and later again the more well know " Triplex"
Of course having these markings doesn’t guarantee the glass is original , were have all of these as appropriate etched on replacement glass

XJ6

Thanks Ed. Keith B is satisfied that the glass is original. Sadly all the windows are lightly scratched from normal use over many years. The windscreen and rear window are in very nice original condition.

Cheers,

Tim

Tim,

Did you ever get a spray out done of the Lavender Grey formula I sent you. If so I would be interested in hearing how it matched the original paint on your car.

Thanks, Jim

'38 SS left side door window glasses - NDV .193" mark illegible but must be GILT EDGE, front main .195", rear .210"
right side NDV .198", front main .180", rear .185"