June 1948 MKIV Seats - Pleated or Un-Pleated?

Hello again,

I am somewhat confused as to when Jaguar made the transition from ‘pleated’ seats to the ‘plain’ seats as on the MKV? Was it ‘pleated’ before June 1948 and ‘plain’ post June 1948, leaving a transition in June 1948? The body number of my car is B9957 and the build date is 3rd June, 1948. Additionally, the fusebox and control box are located below the fuel pumps and not on the bulkhead which confuses me as well?

Kind regards,

Tim

There may be exceptions but leaving aside the MkV the 1940 models were the only Jaguars fitted with unpleated seats unless you count the cloth seats fitted to a few MkIVs.

SS Jaguars and earlier MkIVs have the control box below the pump(s) later ones on the bulkhead.

Peter

Of the cars exported to Australia, MKIV s that is, about half had pleated and half plain. Half the cars, not half the seats of course.
I’d like to be able to say there was some method in this but haven’t found one yet,
Having cars with both types , I would say that the plain seats are the more comfortable. At least for sideways location.
All MKVs had plain.
There seat frames are different for the two types so it’s not practical to convert them, properly.

I was told when doing my seats the early one were pleated because of the leather available and it was not until 1948 in general that plain seat were available, the leather quality had improved… I have two mk iv 1946 pleated, one 1948 (early) plain. Will need to check numbers for more detail. As far as the difference two lead formers were removed from one, the rest of the frame is identical.

However Ss1s had pleated seats , but SS1 Airlines had plain, Then in 1936/7 SS Jaguar saloons and toures had pleated but throughout the whole run SS100s had plain seats.
I have a pair of bare seat frames and I’'ll take pics hopefully tomorrow

Looking at seats, apart from anything else, the plain seats have aluminium formers at the sides that form the side supports.