Just a quick Thank you to all Veterans out there!

69 Coupe

A special thanks to all United States Marines.

Murrieta, California USA

2 Likes

ā€¦and Iā€™d like to add all the vets who were drafted out of their lives and sent out to Vietnam where they got shot at and then came back to be spat upon by the public.

LLoyd

Wherever space and time interact, there is information, and wherever information can be ordered into knowledge, and knowledge can be applied, there is intelligence.
Pavel Mirsky, mid 21st Century Russian General

1 Like

As for me, I considered it my duty and my honor to have servedā€¦

I gained so much, that may not have happened , had I not donned the uniformā€¦

Carl

3 Likes

Went to the local parade yesterday and saw this chalk artwork on the sidewalk that surrounds the ā€œfield of honorā€ in our town, stopped me dead in my tracks for its message and excellence. I was drafted but did not go to Nam, it was an honor to serve and I felt so at the time even though I just wanted to go home.
pauls

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to comment on all the previous posts and some posters, but I donā€™t want my account suspended again. Jeff (two tour Vietnam veteran)

Iā€™m not saying that didnā€™t sometimes happen. But, I have a feeling itā€™d didnā€™t happen nearly as often as is sometimes suggested. Iā€™m a Vietnam era Navy veteran and never saw it happen or know anybody who had it happen to them. Iā€™m not trying to be argumentative, just adding my perspective.

2 Likes

I think itā€™s clear the the ā€˜nam folks were treated pretty shabbily, especially when compared to other war vets.

Also fair to say that I gained this perspective from BBC and US news sources.

1 Like

Good point, Carl.

In spite of the injuries, ā€œshell shockā€ and trauma, I went into the army quite naive but came out a much more mature man. The learning curve was something I would have never gone through as a civilian.

There is always some good to be found in anything!

LLoyd

Wherever space and time interact, there is information, and wherever information can be ordered into knowledge, and knowledge can be applied, there is intelligence.
Pavel Mirsky, mid 21st Century Russian General

1 Like

My best friend flew Huey gunships in Vietnam. When he returned, while in uniform he boarded a plane on the west coast for the final leg home to Virginia. When he got on the commercial flight, seated next to his assigned seat was, in his words, ā€œa real cute girl.ā€ His first thought was that this was going to be an enjoyable trip across country. That was shattered when the bi**h summoned the flight attendant and asked that her seat be changed because she ā€œdidnā€™t want to sit next to a baby killer.ā€
Even in the late 70ā€™s when I was stationed just outside DC, we were advised not to wear our uniforms off post other than when going to and from work. Not much love for service people in those years. That attitude didnā€™t really change, in my opinion, until the victory in Desert Storm.

It would seem youā€™re right about the attitude change around the Desert Storm era. I hope that ignorant, misinformed woman realizes her error and regrets it for the rest of her life. If so she may be making a change for good in some vets life!!
pauls

You could change your clothes, but the short hair in a world of long hairs was a definite give away. Most of my bad experiences were traveling among civilians in airports. And most of us were dragging around a big B-4 bag or a duffle bag.

And during Desert Storm, the media did not show all the killing and carnage 24/7 like they did during Viet Nam. Brainwashing the youth and others that soldiers were Baby killers and crazy lunatics. We were commanded to do what the government and our ranking officers told us to do. You were a GI (Government Issue). The lowly GI was serving his country just like all the previous soldiers. If they wanted to spit on some one, they should have spit on the real lunatics, in DC.

1 Like

Jayne Fonda, An example of Gordonā€™s friendā€™s reluctant seat mate. Same word applies. apologies to female canines!!

Dad was a professional soldier. He related that post WWI the uniforms were far from respectedā€¦ He was a bit young for WWI and a bit old for WWII. But, he served stateside training young soldiers. From basic hygeine and the wearing of socks, under wear and shoes on up!!!

He related to his days as a very young soldier. Issued a straight razor to shave. Ugh, blood all over. An older soldier lent him the money til pay day to get a safety razor at the PX!!!

Carl

You do realize she apologized, for her bad behavior?

But, what consequence??? Treasonousā€¦

John McCain may well have been a guest at Hanoi Hilton at the timeā€¦

Carlā€¦

This seems like itā€™s become ā€˜Pubā€™ Fare.
Cheers,
LLynn

True enough. Iā€™ve read enough and heard enough to understand that military service was generally looked upon as a second rate occupation.

It was said that in Norfolk, a city that relied then, as now, heavily on military spending, you could sometimes see signs saying ā€œDogs and Sailors, Keep Off of the Grassā€. True or not the story predated the Vietnam war by decades and pretty well summed up the love-hate relationship many locales had with the military bases that pumped money into the local economy.

Concur. Started out like a nice tribute to veterans, but then took a turn.

As for me, Iā€™m thankful for my six years on active duty in the AF. I never went anywhere exotic or exciting while I was on active duty, but Iā€™ve spent the last 10 years working for the Army as a civilian attorney and have taken two six month expenses-paid trips to Afghanistan. Good times.:slight_smile:

1 Like

I didnā€™t mean this to be a controversial thing. I would delete my post, but donā€™t know how?? I just wanted to make a quick thanks to vets, no matter where they were from!

If any administrators see this, go ahead an dump it!

A nice day to EVERYONEā€¦

Better that we get back to Jag thingsā€¦
Mark

1 Like