Just an Update for everyone and a power steering seal question

I never check clearances as the taps open the valves and close them not sure if they are in spec though but I’m thinking maybe the rings have went it’s an engine that sat for 27 years in a leaky shed so I know there is stuff you can get to act to fill the leak aroynd ring if you car is smoking but would a compound like that work for me to see if it is the rings without having to pull the engine as I need to buy an lift to pull the engine.

the next step I would take prior to any mechanical dissassembly is to inject air into the combustion chamber, and listen up for where it is hissing out…either intake, exhaust, or oil filler orifices (or all 3)

this can be done fairly easily by modify a spark plug to take an air compressor fitting,
or a leakdown tester

I would find it unlikely to have 0 compression from rings alone, and more likely the valves are not closing for some reason

rings in old unused motors can become frozen in the piston lands, and you would have very low compression in that instance

I think we have mentioned - exhausted - any possibility by now and should have to wait for a while until the results of measuring and testing turn up.
Just get a piece of cardboard and make a list and give us the results: compression with open throttle and oil, exact cam timing, hissing where (bit is normal), what you mean by fuel at the cams, and so on.
Don’t let us rotate in circles giving you all the same suggestions over and over again, please.

As David says; no matter how this test is run, Harry; there will be a reading - unless one or more cylinders are stone ‘dead’…

The main point of the compression test is to verify that compression is even between cylinders. The absolute value is less important - it is influenced by test procedure in addition to degree of wear. In any case; procedure should be the same for each cylinder tested…

As others have said; removing all plugs will increase revs - as will a fully charged battery. The pedal should be floored and the engine cranked for, say 4 seconds, with each cylinder tested…

Adding engine oil to the cylinders seals bore wear - the increase in compression indicates the amount of wear. (Drape a cloth over the unused cylinders - or it may be a bit messy). No change in pressure; the problem is valves or head gasket - or worse. And it is bad enough with 6 seemingly dead cylinders…

Redo compression test with proper procedure…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Zero in all holes. Been there done that. Only once, albeit. The demise of my DOHC.

Even with a badly flawed test, the guage should read something. If any compression exists.

Poor ring sealing probably not the major cause. Bent valves, far more likely. Or stuck open ? In these engines, the kiss of death.

Even sans a guage., cranking witht he plugs our should get at least a hiss from each. Escaping air.

The very essence of the IC engine is compression. They are just big compressors!!

As others have said. Start at the beginning with a plan. Jumping around will only confuse…

Carl