Just muted the Pub

What about two pubs? One for politics anything goes, and one for everything else non-political that is checked up on?

I think The Lounge already fills that bill.

1 Like

I tried but it wouldn’t let me in.

One must have some kind of rating to enter.

jhggch,nb ,mnjhvlhkkjk mm,.

I got it…the pub does not come up…only for those that opt in…

1 Like

Besides I have nothing to offer you all

1 Like

I haven’t reached TL3 yet myself.

Oh well.

Cheers
DD

1 Like

I have heard of this mythical “Lounge” but seems none of us old timers can get in ?

Maybe its shut cause the Pub is shut

perhaps you got to be a VIP to get in…a virgin ?..I know Victor !

2 Likes

Trust me, mate: were that the case, I’d be disallowed in a New York second.

:joy:

1 Like

You do… you’ll clean it up.

:grimacing:

This is a C A R JAGUAR Forum. As a purist (keem 'em original) I feel so should be the Forum site. If you want to discuss various other topics, radical ideology or such I’m sure there are vast numbers of Internet sites for that. Go there. If want to talk Cars, Jaguar Cars, Jaguar whatever, this is the place to do just that. Each has it’s place but not under one roof! We learn about our vehicles (really our babies) from each other’s experiences. Share that. Don’t want to hear your version of “how to pick up a turd by its clean end”!!!

Stay Well and Enjoy Happy Trails,

Dick

4 Likes

Allowing political discussion doesn’t prevent Jag talk.

And there is no reason you should have to. Fair enough; duly noted; duly respected. Fortunately it is 100% within your control to not read anything you don’t want to read. Nobody…nobody.…is forcing you to open any particular thread, read any particular posting, or even visit any particular section. It is 100% your choice; 100% optional. You have the personal freedom to not read anything you don’t want to read. That’s the beauty of the arrangement :slight_smile:

Alas, I’ve made the same pitch quite a few times in the past but, despite its fundamental beauty and utter simplicity, it doesn’t gain much traction. I’m chopping but no chips are flying. I’m flummoxed.

[sigh]

You do the same !

Cheers
DD

3 Likes

Gonna remember that one!

It’s like going to the mall. You don’t have to go in every store just because they are there.

2 Likes

Right. And you don’t insist that the stores you don’t like be closed down!

(Or, perhaps some people do want them closed down! I’m beginning to wonder :slight_smile: )

Cheers
DD

1 Like

Heck, I never would call for “Build A Bear” stores to be closed.

More than once…:smiling_imp:

1 Like

Hi Doug,

Yes, it is in my control and I freely exercise it. It is also noted a few feel their outlooks, opinions and views are so important they must be espoused, shared with ANYONE who would listen, damned the cost. That covey seems to flock to the same corner!!! This has been around in many, many different venues so the Jag-Lovers Forum isn’t unique.

I visit and sometimes contribute to the Forum because I hope what I gain and share are of benefit to the group. Pekka’s contribution to my latest question is a prime example how powerful our knowledge base is. If one wants to express political or esoteric views on topics of the day search and go to that site. Not Jag-Lovers.

I learned many years ago the only control I really have is over myself. What other do, say, exploit or otherwise blog is really of no importance in the grand scheme of things. That said, I choose to stay on topic, not being diverted to expound on things I have little or no control over and make a fool of myself.

I appreciate your response. Now, what did you do with, to, or for your Jaguar today? Ha Ha

Stay Well and Enjoy Happy Trails,

Dick

Try living in the city where that chain was founded, many years ago, when my adult children were children. Spent quite a bit of time there; not as boring as you might think. :slight_smile:

edit: Just recalling…they sure had a system for taking in $$–the business model like Shopsmith, where you buy the basic bear then accessorize. I also remember birthday parties there. That’s where you spend the big bucks.

1 Like

Ok, I feel compelled to chime in with a very brief insight into what it’s like to run this site.

I’ve been one of the two constants in running Jag-lovers since the very early days. It’s been 27 years now, building it, keeping it up, taking care of stuff. In total over the years a massive amount of work with no tangible reward. For those involved, it’s not a job, nor is it a labour of love.

The reward has been in seeing a vibrant community establish itself, sharing ideas, helping each other, documenting and keeping the old Jags running. It’s mostly about the cars, but also other things. Like the way a friendship works. You make friends through a common interest, and discover more things you have in common. And a lot of the members have been here almost forever. More have joined, some have left, some old friends have died. It may be “just an online forum”, but it’s a community of real humans.

And it’s been especially gratifying during recent times to see how much it has meant to people. We’re spread all over the world, but while the world has been crazy, friends have been discussing, supporting and hanging out.

The reason the Pub is closed though. One of the very real problems of running a forum where the membership is mainly men of a certain age is that the membership is mainly men of a certain age. And while you’d think everyone would be sage, wise and know how to behave themself in polite company, it’s a sad fact that not everyone does. And while we have pretty comprehensive rules of conduct, which members agree and promise to abide by when they join, this does on occasion get forgotten, leading to shitposting, arguments and a downright unpleasant place. One result of this is that some members were told to leave, which actually does make me sad. We may still have the enthusiasm in common, but if you disrespect my house, you go.

This unpleasantness is especially so for Gunnar and me, as we have to not only make judgements about all manner of posts but also have to sift through endless threads where old men that should know better argue and post in flagrant violation of the forum rules.

This makes it sound worse than it is, most members do in fact behave themself and contribute to what makes Jag-lovers wonderful.

Truly though, there are many days I feel like just pulling the plug and walking away.

So, back to the topic in question: Should the Pub be brought back, should there be even clearer rules, should topics be banned or what other tools will it take to make life tolerable? Threats of expulsion? More vigilant policing of posts? An endless and unrewarded game of whack a mole. I truly have no idea if there is a technical solution, new rules that everyone would respect or anything another way that we can fix what is clearly a very human problem.

10 Likes