Just purchased 1991 jaguar sovereign. Issues

I’m going for the CPS.

yes when I am checking the fluid I am using the procedures your describing. On the dip stick it has a thin pink layer of transmission film almost to the metal above the white plastic “gauge”

Today I took the trim in the boot off with the engine idling and wiggled all the various wires I could see around. No affect. I did notice “94” marked on the tank and also this loose jumper wire behind the trim. Any ideas?

I did notice while rowing the gear selector through the gears and my foot on the brake that the rpms would go as low as 600 rpm in reserve and drive. Normal?

Where do you guys purchase your CPS? I see rockauto has a couple very pricey ones $300 and hen another for like $50 I believe

Just to be sure, you did check the top of the fuel tank where the fuel pump electrical connections go? And yes a drop of revs is normal due to the drag of the torque convertor trying to move the car.

1 Like

Yes I checked the top as well. I left the foam in place because I didn’t know if it just yanks out or what? I did lift it up and took a peak at the wires and also moved it around while there engine was running with no affect. With the trim removed I can hear the normal pump whine I’m use to with other cars so I want to say the pump is good. The “gargle” in the tank was still present but not sure what it could be.

I also didn’t see the small spade terminal you guys are mentioning either

They enter the evap flange which is under the foam you see on top of the tank. Item 25 is the plug

The spade terminals are inside the plug 25 in the diagram Robin has posted. You need to separate the plug and look inside, if it has been arcing it will be obvious. All the various plugged connectors around the car have a lock or catch to prevent it vibrating apart, some need to be squeezed along the sides and others have little detents that need to be held open or apart before the plug separates.
Have you tried listening for the gurgling noise with the filler cap removed ?

Yes I have tried listening with my ear on the fuel cap and also with the fuel cap off, right there on the filler neck, the noise wasn’t really present there. I will disconnect the plug next time I’m able too. I’m hoping it isn’t fuel pump related and that will most likely be the last thing I will change out because I don’t want to deal with taking out the tank.

Anyone know what part number CPS I need to get for my 1991 XJ6? I see LHE1640AA at rockauto for $24. I also see DBC11501 listed for more $$$

DBC12507 according to the ‘Bible’ (jaguarclassicparts.com):

Is DBC1205 what everyone is talking about when referring to the CPS? This whole time I was thinking this part DBC11501 which supersedes DBC5552

Depends what the connector is the one in your photo (should be yellow) is for the early XJ40, i am fairly sure that yours will be a smaller plug which should be black.

Yes, mine is the black triangular plug. Which is DBC5552 which DBC11501 supersedes but the picture shows a different connector

Cleaned all the grounds as well as relays in the engine bay today, also took out CPS and cleaned that. Changed air filter. Drove around today for about 45 minutes, drove it hard too. Felt better and did not shut off at all! Succes?? I hope so.

You may have removed some crud from the CPS or it was the other cleaning that has been carried out, either way hope you have resolved the issue without further costs.

For your stalling issue try checking all ground wires. I had a 77 280Z that would just stall out at any time. A number of times it stalled whilst I was at around 100 MPH. Sorta scary. I got lucky on one such an occasion when it stalled out and I drifted into a parking lot. A security guy was standing outside. I told him of my dilemma and he suggested checking the battery ground to the frame. I jiggled it and tried to start he car and it started right up. I drove home pulled all the grounds, cleaned them, APLLIED DIELETRIC GREAsE AND REFITTED AND NEVER HAD THE ISSUE COME up AGAIN.

sTEPHEN

I did clean all the relays and grounds in the engine bay and the car drove better it seems. Still need to take it out more to verify results but I’m waiting to replace my brake accumulator and brake fluid flush and front pads replaced before I get it out on the road comfortably