Just spotted this one, passing it on no personal interest XJ Vanden Plas

spotted this in Johnston RI, don’t know a thing about it but thought I would let you all know.

Vanden Plas, has been at this house in garage for at least 15 yrs. I think it was a daily driver. Now it’s in the yard for sale:

I don’t think he will get 1K for it. Might be a runner or a good parts car, have no idea.

I don’t know a thing about it. NAYYY.

Also, I couldn’t figure out how to put pic in for sale place so did it her. Sorry if that was bad of me.

Seems reasonable o me. Imperfect, definitely. .Rust issues clear.

Orange extension cord suggests a depleted battery or more. n

At $750.00, if were not so far away, I’d be tempted.

Carl

When there is windshield post rust, it is a goner. If it ran passably well, it’s worth $500.

1 Like

Funny, I just bought one of those last month $600.00 No runner, not as rusted out as that one; nothing that a bit of scrap 18 gauge sheet metal, a TIG welder, and some paint can’t cure. The A pillar (on the car above), that’s kind of a deal breaker. If the A or C pillars are that far gone, then the surrounding metal, aka the structural bits are gone with it. If I really wanted the car, IT IS repairable, but a monumental PTA.

My future ex wife, so willingly shares her unsolicited opinion, “why on earth do you keep bringing home these piece of shit Jags?” I calmly state, well “It keeps me out of the pubs, and away from you.” It’s a win win!

I have a rule when it comes to purchasing clapped out Jaguars I call it the 1 2 3 rule
Here are my 3 area’s of concern.

1. Body
    A Missing bits, damage such as dents, or paint or lack there of.
    B. Rust. Living in the Pacific Northwest, nearly all clapped out Jags (I’ve run across) have rust.
    Deal breakers - structural areas, floors, and boot, and rust holes in the A and C pillars
    Questionable - front and rear fascia, tail light enclosures
    C. Acceptable rust for me, any part that is bolted on, wings, boot lid, bonnet, sunroof.

2. Interior
    A. Deal breakers - if more than one of the seats are ripped. Dry or cracked leather can be salvaged, and repaired, and re-dyed.
    B. Deal breakers - smells bad not mildew bad, like someone was murdered in the car bad. That smell just doesn’t go a way. I’m speaking from experience. No I didn’t murder anybody. I bought a pup that smelled, I ended up removing all of the interior. The back of the carpet was saturated with dried blood. I’m a firm believer don’t ask questions you don’t want to know the answers to. Ended up replacing all of the interior.
    C. Wood
    Wood is easily repaired. ebay veneer (sheets), suresoft, and surfboard resin. will never crack and won’t come off either - surfboard resin.
    D. Glass
    For most this is a deal breaker, however fortunately for me, I have a stock of all things glass except the windscreen. They just won’t come out in one piece. (for me anyway).
    E. door cards, providing all of the bits are there, door cards are easily reconstructed and repaired as long as the vinyl isn’t damaged. I have these too.
    F. Electrical
    Deal breaker - if nothing electrical works. Quirks I can fix. rewiring the whole car, deal breaker

3. Mechanical
    engine and transmission - if you don’t have spares, and can’t do it yourself. deal breaker. or lump it.
    Suspension - it’s a given at least it needs bushes. IRS rebuild. kind of a deal breaker if you have to hire it.

Here’ how the 1 2 3 rule works:
If there are 1 of the deal breaker items present. I walk away.
If 2 of the 3 list items (not listed items) don’t include deal breakers, then it’s a go.

I have been known to break this rule.
The Pink 72 Series I XJ6. It’s missing the correct interior. The PO tossed the seats :cry: serious bummer; and if it weren’t for the fact it’s a Series I!; I’d walk away.

I’d break the rust rule for a Series II coupe. Deal Breakers would be if any of the coupe specific bits were missing (damaged bits I can fix or remake using the old broken part as a template)
All of the interior would have to be there though. Door cards, and seats; and any other bits specific to the coupe that are missing.

Any non deal breakers items I can fix. or with the help of this forum I can fix.
Thank you again & Thank you in advance!

Oh, and my future exwife hates you all!

Cheers!
Mark

BWAAAAAAAAAhahaha!! That’s a keeper, that future ex!!!

My darling wife also makes that statement, but she does (unwillingly) allow Jag parts in the bedroom,
so long as they are not on “her” side

1 Like

Missing seats in a Series 1 aren’t a problem, just bolt in your spare Series 3 seats. They were probably totally gone before they were physically gone anyways.

Really? I didn’t think the Series III seats would fit because all Series III’s are longer wheel bases. What’s in there now are seats from an X300 which look a bit out of place, comfy. The back seat fits too, and is comfy if you don’t have legs.

That is brilliant! I thought I was the only one who had Jag parts in the bedroom. Brand new 4 core XJS radiator and water pump. This WAS my living room centerpiece. I got out voted by pretty much everyone. So it had to go to my office. Where the interior for the Series III is

That wheel came out of the boot on the Series III. It’s never been mounted. The wheel still has the waxy protective coating on it, and the tire is still holding circa ’85 air. Personally I don’t see what she’s complaining about.

THAT…that is art, not just a spare!!!

that is what I said. Thank you for backing me up on this one. I was beginning to think I was the only one who could appreciate it for what it is. what I can tell you is that as long as I’m vertical and breathing, it will never be mounted or in the boot.

This bit of historical art emerged from inside the engine of Jim Busby’s 962, during the ‘85 Daytona 500. In doing so, it caused an “electrical problem.”

(It knocked the alternator off…)

My wife has not ever once complained about me displaying this bit of art…:crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

Wow, I’d say electrical problems were the least of their concerns. when you say it knocked off the alternator, is that while it was exiting the block?
It a wonderful story though, looks like it was missing a bit of oil at the little end.

Yes, and the cause was a shattered piston, at 8800 rpm. Note how little damage was done to the titanium rod as it exited, block left…:crazy_face:

Clearly, I need a new wife.

1 Like

Wives should be like Jaguars, Bill; if ne is good, one is enough. If not good; one is more than enough…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

S3 seats bolt into place with no modifications at all, front and rear. X300 seats mean lots of mods, starting with cutting out all the original fittings and reinforcing the floor pan to allow the seats to bolt directly to the floor. The rear seat parts also require some subtle mods to fit into place.

I did this to my S1 around 20 years ago now, using seats from a 1996 XJR. A lot of work, but extremely good seats.

Yes! To me it looks like the sunroof drains are clogged (for X years?) and now the A-pillars are very, emmm…crispy? :frowning:

The lower corner of the LH front wing (fender?) also looks like there’s been crud in there for a while and most likely the sills and the floors would need body work. That would be doable, but it’s the whole scuttle (firewall) area that I would be very, very scared to explore. As much as I love these cars, I would run away from that yard sale as fast as I can…

Cheers!

Pekka T. - 2J50041DN
Fin.

“Crispy.” I like that word!

“Diaphanous” …”see-through”… “lace doily”, might be better…:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: