Jute on fuel tanks?

Hello all, I looked at some pics on BAT of a '66 FHC. The fuel tank pic shows vinyl or jute cut to fit the top of the fuel tank. Is that factory? I had not noticed it before.

Probably. I know they are factory on a Series II, and I’m sure they started before that. I couldn’t find the proper material so I cut a piece out of Hardura.

I would love to see a photo. I don’t think mine has this.
Dennis 69 OTS

Dennis, not used on OTS.
Also, this thread, as well as others, may help.

Tom

The boot and tank dense foam matting on my car was covered in a vinyl reinforced with jute type of string. An internet photo would make this look like jute, which is what the underlay was made of.

kind regards
Marek

Here is the one I made. I didn’t have a pattern but I think this is fairly close.

Here is a link to the pic: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-jaguar-xke-coupe-13/?utm_source=dm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-08-04

Thanks
Looks very nice.
Dennis

Looks very professional. Where did you source the fabric?

Anytime, and thanks.

Thank you.

Hirsch Automotive. Hirschauto.com. 1-800-828-2061

Item #: HD-01 YARD
Desscription: Black Hardura Trunk Liner 56 inches wide. When I bought it 3 years ago the price was $48.00 /running yard.

BE WARNED: This is not as original, if that matters to you. :smiley:

2 Likes

Not showing anymore.

Lester

i believe i had one. Jute covered in vinyl and glued or stuck by age to tank top

I guess they’ve quit carrying it.

These people claim to carry it. It’s listed in the Raw Vinyl section.

Did you also put the pieces in the spare tire well?

No, I should have but I didn’t.

Please tell me that isn’t on the concours judging form…

Lester

Wouldn’t matter in driven because the boot isn’t judged. No one would care in the special class as long as the job was neat. In championship you have to show the spare tire well and that would allow a judge to see the medial edge of whatever was glued down on the tank. So, a really attentive or picky judge could spot it .

You still can.