Keep your fingers crossed

I don’t want to jinx myself, so I’ll not disclose specifics yet, but I will be living a dream if negotiations work out for an e I’ve had inspected. And yes, I moved up my time frame (more than) a bit. I don’t want this one to slip away. Wish me luck. Stay tuned. :crossed_fingers:

6 Likes

Candles lit, East located, prayer rug deployed!

Incense burning. Have located the sun properly in my scale model of Stonehenge.

Wishing you a rust free (relatively) experience

Good luck. Can’t wait to see pictures.

Sure, negotiate well - but looking back at cars I have acquired the purchase price does not loom large in my memory. In a way it is just the down-payment on a grand experieince.

3 Likes

If it’s the right car the time frame is secondary. If it’s not, well, they made something like 73,000 E-types.

I hope you’ve found your car.

1 Like

I am picking it up Saturday.

yeeeeeeeeeeeee

3 Likes

What did you end buying Carlo ?

Marco

Congratulations! More info and photos when it is home.

1 Like

Then the fun begins!

1 Like

Oops, read from the top …
OK, I’ll have to wait !

Congrats! I’m eager to see what direction you went…
S1 or S2??
OTS or FHC or 2+2??

Come on!! Curious minds want to know!!
:grinning:

1 Like

Sweet. I can’t wait for the full, illustrated report.

1 Like

So… Carlo. I haven’t slept for weeks! Tell us what happened?!

Robert

1 Like

Thanks for asking, Robert. The whole episode ended up being a fail. I’m disappointed, disillusioned and sad.

It’s a '70 ots, light blue/black interior/black soft top, owned by an 85 year old fellow who’s owned it for the past 45 years. I liked that it was all original, and had known pedigree.

I would like to think that the owner did not misrepresent the car deliberately, especially since he and I spent hours on the phone discussing the car’s condition and what I expected to find when I viewed the car, AND that I would walk away if the car wasn’t as described. He also was aware that I was driving 5+ hours. With all this on the table out in the open, he guaranteed I would not be disappointed.
He guaranteed that the car had 40 lbs oil pressure, was completely rust free, and the paint looked as good as the day it was painted. He also stated that the car started, shifted, handled, and ran perfectly.
What I found … Bubbles in the paint, rust under the bonnet, behind rear wheel wells and in the boot, signs of bondo (enough for my fridge magnet to not adhere), oil spewed in the engine compartment, the clock disconnected because he said it’s causing parasitic battery drain, tach not working (probably due to electronic ignition), oil pressure gauge didn’t respond to engine revs (never above 15 - 20 psi), and although I thought I had a good idea of what the condition of the interior was like, it became apparent the photos he provided were taken with “care”.

In any event, I will continue until I get my e.

Carlo

1 Like

Think positive. Having actually gone and looked at one critically with the intent to buy you probably now have a much better idea of what to ask for in the way of pictures and what to ask for and what t o look for.

2 Likes

You know, John, at the time, I actually did think I covered all that, but in retrospect, I do believe I heard and saw what I wanted to hear and see. And yes, I do know better now. Thank you.

Carlo

It’s really hard to do otherwise, at least for me. The other factor may be down to the seller. If he’s owned the car for 45 years, he probably is so used to it’s defects that he doesn’t see them. As I was preparing my Series 2 for the upcoming Oil Leak over the past few days I was surprised by many defects in the paint and interior that I came across. Many/most of them have probably been there as long as I’ve owned it, but I just haven’t focused on them. This time, I think I was looking at the car with a more critical eye as a result of viewing others on BaT and was taken by surprise. Keep looking and I’m sure you’ll find “your car” in time. Good luck!

2 Likes

Thanks, David. I’ll get there.
Carlo

Carlo it took a couple of years to find the one that was right for me, including flights to look at some. Those “failed” trips were a valuable lesson in what to look for. When I finally found mine I knew within 10 minutes that I would buy it as long as the price negotiations worked out. Having one of these is worth the effort.

David
68 E-type

1 Like