Keep your fingers crossed

When I sold the Miata the buyer was 300 miles away in Dallas. I’d e-mail him pictures he asked for, a few hours later he’d ask for more, I’d trot down to the garage and take more to send him. I’d guess I sent him close to 100 pictures before he was confident enough to drive up, money in hand. The point being I wouldn’t be shy about asking for lots of detailed photos and other information and I don’t think a reasonable seller would have a problem taking and sending them.

I’ve got a pretty good idea of what’s right and not right on these cars, at least with regards to Series II. Despite that, I still missed stuff that in retrospect I think I should have caught when I bought the car I have now.

1 Like

David,

That sounds like what I experienced when I searched for my '68 Corvette. If I had a nickel for every '68 that was described as “mint/showroom condition”, and wasn’t, I’d have quite a few nickels.

Agreed, having one will be worth the effort, which I am willing to make.

Thank you

Carlo.

1 Like

Another thing that might help you avoid wasting time and travel expenses looking at a car that turns out to be not as advertised is asking on this forum if any members living close to the car you’re interested in would be willing to take a look at it before you go to see it. We have members in virtually nook and cranny of the country and if one of them gives the car a thumbs up, then you can make your travel plans.

1 Like

I’m looking at a 140 right now, still on the fence. It’s hard but sometimes you have to walk away.

1 Like

I like that idea, Mark. Some members have already graciously offered their “eyes”. Having an experienced member/owner scan a prospective purchase is a win-win, not to mention the obvious time saving benefit.

Carlo

Hey Carlo

So sorry to hear that it didn’t work out the way you had hoped. It’s much better than buying it, getting it home and THEN discovering all the issues, like Steve did with his 69.

Here’s his story 1969 Jag S2 FHC, 4.2l Rebuild Story

So here’s a thought. Next time before you take a 5 hour drive, put a message out to the group that you’re “seriously looking at a car in such-and-such town and can someone knowledgeable and reasonably close take a look?”

The conditions you described would be obvious to an informed observer. With an iPhone someone could FaceTime you and walk around the car showing you various items. Once they gave it a thumbs up, you can take the drive to check it out in person. But at least you’d have a fairly decent baseline.

Many of us here love these cars, and would enjoy checking out a car for you.

1 Like

And here’s some advertised locally
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=xke&excats=20-72-30-10-31-10-15-2&sort=rel&srchType=T&searchNearby=2&nearbyArea=187&nearbyArea=43&nearbyArea=373&nearbyArea=709&nearbyArea=454&nearbyArea=285&nearbyArea=96&nearbyArea=102&nearbyArea=12&nearbyArea=191&nearbyArea=97&nearbyArea=456

Hi, Robert

The last thing I want to have to do when I finally get an e is to go through what Steve “69cat” went through. I was exhausted reading the thread by time I got to post #70 or so … a bit sooner, actually.

Like I said in previous posts, I have no problem with tweaking and wrenching a bit, but I have zero desire to break-down the car I just bought, and have to rebuild it from the ground up. If that happens during my ownership, then so be it.

Reading a thread like Steve’s convinces me what others have repeatedly pounded into me, and that being that one should get the most car one can afford.

Carlo
P.S. That thread is loaded with valuable info. I will bookmark it and return.

More valuable words have not been uttered!

Steve is turning a lemon into some mighty fine lemonade, and along with Bill McKenna’s documentation, and Harvey Ferris’, his documentation of its resurrection really is going to be one of the “gold standards” showing how to restore a very complex chassis.

Carlo, to an extent I agree with this, with one significantly large caveat… never assume that because you’re paying “top dollar” for a car that it deserves such a price. The correlation between condition and price is most certainly not a straight line. I’ve seen, and bought, some very nice cars at reasonable prices. I’ve also seen people pay serious money for cars I would have nothing to do with.

The more certain correlation is the one between time and money. That is, the more time you spend getting familiar with the cars and knowing what to look for, the less money you will spend being caught by surprises.

For example, if you read the link posted earlier, the OP noted that when he drained the oil it was milky. At time of intitial inspection if you pull the dipstick out and see the oil is milky, it means water has gotten into the oil somehow, most likely a head gasket. At this point you walk, unless the car is priced to allow for an engine rebuild.

Ultimately it’s pretty basic, and it’s part of the challenge. I have a sign at my desk which reads “Don’t wish it was easier, wish you were better”. The nice thing about that line of thought is I can make myself better. :blush:

1 Like

…and by the way, I WILL love my car too!!!

1 Like

Absolutely Steve! Probably more so than those that buy a car in near perfect condition, that they now just drive. Because you’ve put blood, sweat and tears into it. :+1:

Also something to keep in mind Carlo, there are other forums here where people are keen on Jags and although they would not necessarily be fully conversant with the ‘E’ could be a set of eyes to cast and initial look over a prospect. The Pub would be one good spot to ask the question.