Keys, or lack thereof

When I bought my SII, the widow of the PO did not have anything but the ignition key. I would like to be able to operate the other locks, which leads to the following questions:

1. From the factory, there would have been an ignition key, plus a key that operated the doors, glovebox, fuel tanks, and boot lid, as well as a valet key that would have operate all of those except the bootlid, correct? (Obviously after 40+ years it’s very possible that one or more locks have been swapped, so there may not longer be one key to rule them all.)

2. For the non-ignition key, what kind of keyway is correct (i.e. FS, FT, etc.), and is a cut on a single side like the ignition, or on both, so it can go in either way?

3. Has anyone found the keycode stamped on a lock cylinder?

4. For SII cars, will a Heritage Certificate provide the original lock codes?

You will not find any lock codes etc…these are old cars…not necessary or in existence.

A simple search on ebay will show the keys you need. model type, etc.

It seems you are new to old jaguars and british cars…they are similar.

A keysmith may be able to simply make the keys using the original type blanks, or it may be necessary to purchase new locks and keys sets one finds on the miraculous ebay, etc…or taken off a parts car is only other way.

I own a S1 xj6 and posted inquiry recently on original ignition key type…model numbers i hv not memorized can be found there too…

regards

On the contrary, I am not new to either. :slight_smile:

And on an old enough British car, an ignition, for example, would have the key code stamped on the outside.

Right…
Then what is your question?

You stated you have ignition key…so that;s that…
You stated (correctly) that the doors, gas caps, and trunk have their separate keys, which would either have to be made or found with a new barrel or lock assembly in its entirety,which may be found online (ebay), via parts cars, or having blanks cut by a locksmith who works with automobiles.

Also of course those of the Etype will work as well.

regards.

XK unlimited has locks and cylinders. You have to call, cause their online catalog doesn’t list the Series II or III keys.
Terry’s Jag has blanks, and some lock cylinders too. as does jagbits.com. Another good source for used parts is everydayXJ - Good people.

Me? I picked up blanks and took the lock cylinders out and sent them to a lock smith; to have them rebuilt. I didn’t really need keys for the door or boot, a pop cycle stick worked very well. :blush:

Oh, and as for the tone of the messages, play nice please. We all have one thing in common we love our cars. Lets help each other make our cars the best they can be. These old cats deserve it!

Cheers!
Mark

1. Indeed 3 keys, Chuck - but the valet key would not open the glove box, owner’s key opens all…

2. It’s a double cut - going in either way.

3. I haven’t - Jaguar at some stage got a bit secretive on key codes.

4. They may, but I doubt it. Getting the blanks is the easy bit, but without an original key; copying is not. Mark has the likely solution - taking a lock cylinder to a locksmith, which can also source blanks. The simplest is to remove the glove box and take it to a locksmith copying the owner’s - you may not want the valet key…?

Possible complications; if the ign key has been used on other locks, these are ruined - and cannot be used as patterns. But anything will open a ruined lock - as Mark implies. Secondly; a PO may have changed lock cylinders - copied keys from one lock may not work on the others. But a locksmith can do a lot of things…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Chuck,

if I get you right, your locks are open, so getting them out is not an issue. In your shoes I’d probably get myself any SII key set and use the larger and the smaller two sided keys - they have nothing in common with the one sided ignition key. The larger one is for the doors and the fuel doors, the smaller one is for the trunk and the glove box. - The SII cars don’t have a true valet key - you just retain the smaller key when consigning the car.

It is sufficient to get one door lock cylinder and the glovebox lid lock cylinder out to begin. Taking them apart is a very contemplative and satisfactory job. Just be very careful not to drop any of the tiny coil springs and U-shaped lock parts. The idea of the lock cylinder is that the profile of the key pulls in against the spring power the five different U-shaped brackets and thus makes the inner cylinder turnable against the outer cylinder.

To my information Jaguar kept using the same blanks during the SII production run and all key cylinders are made of the same five locking brackets. So it is only a matter of patience and experiment until you have found the bracket combination fitting to the key you have on hand. Once you found it you can replicate with all the other lock cylinders.

Good luck

Jochen

Try Pete Groh in Maryland. This guy knows British car keys.

http://britishcarkeys.com/

Uncertain about posting such a link here, but this is what I was referring to…get it while you can. I am always keeping an eye on stuff and bookmarking…sigh.

Less expensive and time consuming than ordering key blanks, removing the barrels and taking to auto locksmith, etc…imho.

How we did all of this stuff before the internet I have no idea.
Best

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272165627782?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172289458614?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hey Mark (Chuck)

Missed this. did not intend to seem that way.
I suppose it’s difficult to gauge tone of a message sometimes…and besides, sometimes we need a shake and a slap .especially us with these cars…I know I do.

Besides, you guys are so polite it is a bit off putting sometimes (laugh)
Yes, I am such a rebel.

Back in the early days we were tougher…hah.
I too am just returning to the madness.

didn’t realize it was the same “chuck” i welcomed within other message with XJ6C.

…ok, you’re cool…you’re in the club.

Regards

PS: Terry’s Jag and XK’s … used to love their catalogs but they were always so pricey. their prices sure have come down since the heyday of the 90s

Jeez…the entire market is crazy these days unless you own an Etype or Mk2…or up and coming XJ6C.

We S1 XJ6 owners should know…the S1 is supposed to be the next big thing, but it must be silence before the storm?!

…but I digress.