"king pin angle"

Some time ago someone suggested that a change of stub axle carrier was to give a different angle. This may not be a good way to explain it. I thought this might mean that the place where the ball joint located was moved or machined a bit different. Part numbers of Mk7/8/9 parts apparently have changed. Sometimes agreeing with the XKs and sometimes not. Can anyone tell me about this change and if it in critical to use the correct stub axle carriers? The only other change in them I know of was slightly larger bolt holes, maybe 7/16 for disk brake usage on the MK9.

Page J5 of the Service Manual gives the Swivel Inclination of Mark VII as 8 degrees and XK120 as 5 degrees.

Imagine a line drawn through the ball joint centers and another line through the stub axle centerline. They are not at 90 degrees, they are 98 degrees on Mark VII and 95 degrees on XK120. This is the difference in the stub axle carriers. For this reason, you would not want to use Mark VII/VIII/IX parts on an XK; it would throw off the handling on corners, and you might not even be able to get the right camber setting.

Swivel Inclination for the Mark V is not given in the Mark V Service Manual, but as the part numbers of the stub axle carriers are the same C3009 & C3606 as for XK120, you can assume that they are 5 degrees and you can use the Mark V parts on an XK120.

Thanks Rob. What I was thinking of probably was changing the upper ball joint to allow more movement. C14434. The difference of 3 degrees from 120 to 7 was a static change alone. The bigger ball joint was said to give a greater range of motion.