Knocking sound from rear of e type series 2

While pulling away to the left from a standing start there is a regular knocking noise from the rear end. Also sometimes an irregular knock while driving. Not sure if the two are related.
Does anyone have any ideas what this might be?
Thanks
Phil

Does it happen when you take foot off gas or press brakes?
My noise was more of a click and was from splines moving within the outer hub
Dennis

1 Like

I would check the UJ’s.

1 Like

No, only when pulling off from a standing start and turning left.

Sounds like a suspension problem.
Maybe one of the four mounts for the IRS cage? Or the rubber on one of the two leading suspension arms.
I think and good look on both sides will hopefully reveal something
Dennis

2 Likes

Might be the limited slip differential clutch is chattering. Make sure nothing is loose in the drivetrain or suspension and then change your gear oil to something that includes the limited slip additive.

2 Likes

Especially the two on the right hand driveshaft.

1 Like

I get the same occasional knock,Its my understanding that the splines that go into the hubs can make this sound if they are not sealed correctly…They should be a very tight fit

1 Like

Also check the sway bar bushings and end links.

2 Likes

An update finally.
Having had the diff rebuilt (and finding there was nothing wrong with it!!! ) and during refitting my mechanic found that the rear gearbox mounting was not locating correctly. (The pin was not located in the mounting bracket hole) On checking the adjustable front mounting (attached to the bulkhead under the bonnet) it was found that this was over adjusted to the point where it was lifting the gearbox too high.This led to the gearbox being out of align with the prop shaft with the effect of causing the problem.
On road testing the problem had been solved.
Hope you understand my description - I should have taken a couple of photos at the time……anyway many miles of trouble free motoring have been enjoyed since.
Phil

4 Likes

So what was actually hitting what??

It seems that the gearbox was knocking against the body/gearbox tunnel.