Koni Classic series Install question

Today installed front Koni Classic series shocks. Instructions show additional pieces not included with shocks. Anyone have knowledge of what their function is ?

Thanks
'66 fhc

It’s a little blurry, or maybe I’m hungover but it looks like a bump stop. Not sure it would help much. I think your oil pan or downpipes would crash before a bump would contact in the front. The car bump stop would contact first in the rear.

it is indeed a bump stop and would be used on the rear shocks if you have removed the stock bump stops to fit wide wheels. You must have a bump stop of some sort on the rear. Not required on the front.

The white plastic ring is to keep the adjusting pins from making contact with their sockets on the lower half of the shock. To adjust the shock absorber you remove a) the bump stop (if fitted) and b) the plastic washer. With one end of the Koni in a vice you press the other half down and rotate until the pins locate. You then continue to turn the upper half clockwise or anti clockwise to adjust the stiffness. When you are happy you replace the washer and bump stop and try your damnedest to match the other shocks to match. You can see what fun that would be on the rear’s!

Koni’s were originally designed to allow owners to stiffen the shocks after much use over badly made roads and thus prolong their life. In the 1960’s the racing community latched on to the idea and used them to stiffen the suspension before fitting. So a thrift measure became an automotive icon but pretty much valueless on a road car because of the hassle and trying to match the settings (there are no click stops) for which you need a professional shock absorber calibration gauge.

Personally I find the Koni’s a poor match to the E-Type suspension and I prefer the Boge’s which are very close to the specification of the original Girling items…

David

1 Like

Thanks David,
Red Konis were on it when I bought it, they were quit worn. I waited a month over the Classics, from Summit.

Your explanation, excellent. 30 years ago I put Konis on the rear, I liked it’s firm grip. This time I’m too old to solo drop the rear again.

Patrick
'66 fhc