Krud on the paint of my 71 XJ6 Jaguar

My 71 Jaguar XJ6 has been sitting in an unheated garage, not driven for perhaps 10 years, and for the most part untouched. Now that I have retired from work, an office and apartment building manager, I would like to get the car cleaned and polished for summer shows. I first washed it with mild soap and water and for the most part it came clean.

However, the horizontal paint surfaces that face the ceiling, the hood, trunk and roof, have series of fine white dots, that are almost invisible, but easily felt when I run my hand over the surface. I have used a wax/cleaner, but they do not easily come off.

The pant is urethane and is in otherwise in like new condition. The ceiling in the unheated garage is plaster, similar to what you would find in a hone. This building was built in 1929. Before I began using the area many years ago, I painted the ceiling of the garage with an ordinary house paint.

That garage is dry and there is no moisture drops from the ceiling after snow or rail.

The vertical areas of the car, doors and fenders, do not have the material on the paint so it seems to be something that has fallen from the ceiling on to the horizontal surfaces. I can get it off using wax/cleaner but it takes a tremendous amount of rubbing to remove it. I am hesitant to use anything other than wax/cleaner. The car was painted with an early version of poly urethan in the 1980s.

Your thought thoughts would be appreciated.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Regards
Lou

This 3M product is fabulous for removing anything without damaging the paint. It’s expensive, but try a little and if it doesn’t work take it back.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/3m-specialty-adhesive-remover-38984-1-quart-us-38984/10943820-p?product_channel=local&store=5806&adtype=pla&product_channel=local&store_code=5806&gbraid=0AAAAAD05GhW5q48G2BzBGCKvGKuSsqd_a&gbraid=0AAAAAD05GhW5q48G2BzBGCKvGKuSsqd_a&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpv2TBhDoARIsALBnVnm7QPmYKajG91RJ70vibqNXkg_PfhA_yN2RtmN9cqE2h-rKZVZQhSAaAjcfEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 Like

Seems the perfect use of clay. A block of semi solid material. rub the surface. it absorbsmatter that polish will not touch.

I hesitate to suggest rubbing compound. A liquid with tougher abrasives than most polish.

Or, hire a detaier with a good references…

Carl

3 Likes

Sounds like fly sh-+%t use water and car soap let it soak a bit

Concur with the clay idea. Had a car that had been cleaned and washed pretty regularly, but it slowly built up a fine rough film over it that you couldn’t see, but certainly could feel. A few hours with the clay had it looking and feeling much better. Also no (?) chance of damaging the paint, I believe. Cheap first move , anyway.

Lou,

I’ve encountered a very similar issue and was never able to single out its cause … At the time I used simple car polish and some two/three years (and applications) later it was all over.

That being said, if you want to get rid of the spots quicker I’d use classic pages of new (and clean!) newspaper, lay them out just one sheet at a time with overlapping edges over the horizontal areas and then spray them wet with a water/car cleaner mix. Maybe repeat once or twice over a Saturday afternoon once the papers starts drying out. Finish by washing and then test whether the spots have been softened enough to be removed more easily.

Next step is the clay bar. Renowned for not harming the paint, but still requiring quite some elbow grease …

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)