Label on air intake

The PO painted over this label on top of the fiberglass air intake. What does the label say, maybe I can rescue it…

John North
S1 1967 Roadster

Gee, 30 seconds spent applying some masking tape would have been time well spent!

Depends on what carbs you have, what Series, what distributor, etc.

Mine (1969 S2, ZS carbs, 41207 dizzy) says:

You may have better luck getting a replacement tag.

Just a thought: Could you carefully mask off everything else and then apply a bit of brake fluid to that label to get the paint off?

That’s exactly the same as my '68 1.5…

John,

This is what it should look like:
label

7 Likes

Would a '67 have come with the Duplex manifold ? I did not think that happened until '68.

David
68 E-type FHC

Whether to repair it or replace it you are going to need to drill out the pop rivets. Once you get the plate off you can try various solvents and paint removers. I just looked at the plate on my air cleaner and it appears to be a silkscreened aluminum plate.

I’d try mineral spirits, then acetone, for starters. Probably too mild to work, but you might get lucky. Maybe buff gently with a scotch pad after you get it wet. You get into lacquer thinner or actual stripper and I suspect you’ll damage it. Brake fluid is not a bad idea, my perception is that it’s a bit milder than stripper.

I have a 66 S1 but no such plate. Should it have one?

I’m now thinking that this one is from a S2 engine and lots of bits and pieces I bought a couple years ago. The parts catalogues all show this as a S2 addition. Amazing what you find when you look in the corners of the shop :slight_smile: Also found a pair of nicelooking arm rests that I bought someplace and a full set of brake pipes new in box.

John

I don’t know when they first appeared but the data will vary, particularly the timing spec. Depending on the carbs and distributor fitted it may be 5* or 10* BTDC.

Yup. If the underside of the trumpet flange lacks the characteristic depression then it’s definitely from an S2 (or S1.5 in the US). It will also not fit to the triple SU trumpets without modification.