Large electrical resistor

Can someone please tell me what the large resistor mounted next to the brake reservoirs on my 1970 Series 2 FHC was for?

All the wires going to this resistor have been simply cut off so it is doing nothing. From the size of it I think it might have been associated with the electric radiators fans to get two speed settings. My car , prior to my ownership , has been fitted with an aluminum radiator and , presumably, different electric fans.

I think that these fans are single speed only since I haven’t see or heard any evidence of two speed operation. So I am thinking of just removing this resistor.

I’m guessing it’s for the dual speed heater motor.

Hum, never thought about that. I will check to see whether or not I have two speeds on my heater fan
Thanks Les, Stuart

I believe that is for the A/C system which was apparently mostly removed.

Richard Liggitt

1 Like

you might be correct. There is some confusion about the history of this car, It was ordered with A/C from a dealer in the UK but there is some evidence to indicate that it didn’t arrive stateside with A/C.
Stuart

My AC resistor is under that metal shield on the frame rail:

The (similar) heater fan resistor is under the heater box next to the heater fan motor.

That resistor is(was) for the A/C blower, not the heater blower. Geo’s is relocated because he has P/S.

That’s for the AC blower motor.

Thanks for this question and answers. I have the same resistor in the same location. I was also wondering what it was for.

So a question. If it was ordered from a dealer in the UK, is it LHD? AFAIK, there were no RHD S2’s with A/C.

Yes it is LHD. In was ordered under a scheme whereby the car was bought in the UK and exported to the USA. I presume that it was cheaper to buy this way.
It is not clear that the car arrived in the USA as ordered, i.e with A/C. Certainly the car now doesn’t have A/C

Well, hang on to the resistor and bracket. IIRC, the correct green ones are hard to find.