Late Model Jaguar Engine Conversions

Has any body put a late model inline 6 (95-05) or V8 in their XJ, While it would be nice to keep the original power train in my car, I just don’t know if I will be happy with how it drives when its up and running. That said is might be cool to keep everything Jag / Ford under the hood. Not sure if a 32 valve V8 would fit considering the size of the heads.

I just ran a three part series in the Jaguar Journal on conversion of an XJ6C to supercharged V8

Sep-Oct 2019
Nov-Dec 2019
Jan-Feb 2020

Perfect…there is so much on this web site that sometimes its hard to figure out where to start looking.

Thank you!

Wow I just read it. Super complicated. I was thinking of just running a 2005 4.2 liter V8. They are great engines and with that 6 speed automatic 300 hp would be plenty. My biggest concern was if I got the ECU for the engine and transmission, would I be able to get the engine to fire? Do I need the original key and security system to all communicate with one another? I guess I’m going to have to rethink all of this and do some more digging before I have an engine show up at my house I cannot make work! :slight_smile:

You will need the complete ‘wiring’ harness for the engine in question, Brian - the harness would include all computers used for engine and gearbox management. then the engine would fire up…

Whether the modern engine/gearbox can be shoehorned into the xj body without a lot of work, is trial and error.

I see absolutely merit in the exercise or the result - but that’s just me…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

The electronic side is far harder and more risky tan the mechanicals. It cost a lot, but now at least anyone who wants the job done can go to the same shop and benefit from the massive learning hours they were paid by the first person.

Pete