Latest doo-dad for E Types

Finally getting around to installing these bearing spacers that I bought from Denis Welch in the UK (part no DWR JSUF141-3). These fit inside the hub and with shims allow you to safely put some pre-load on the front wheel bearings. They are so beautifully made they could be art. They will first stiffen the stub axle, and second, hopefully stop the bearing from turning on the axle and wearing it out. Some photos below show the basic set up - inner and outer bearings, with a shim between the front bearing and the spacer. Other photos show wear from spinning on the stub axle and wear on the outer washer from the bearing turning against it. This is probably hard core racer stuff, unecessary on street driven cars, but it’s something to do during these times.

IMG_9416

IMG_9419

2 Likes

Good looking piece of kit: I made similar spacers like that for the front ends of Formula Vees to stabilize the ball beatings, and stiffen their spindles.

Have you also replaced the stub axle or is the wear insignificant once the spacer is fixed in place?

I didn’t replace the axle - probably should have. I expect the tension on the spacer will stop the bearing turning. I didn’t mention that with the spacer you now tighten the nut down hard so hopefully nothing moves.

1 Like

Thanks. I expect that as long as there is no slop in the bearing fit the axles would probably be fine.

Bringing the E-type up to stock MGB spec :wink:

4 Likes

Hi Terry.

I could only find the listing by searching JSUF141, leaving off the “DWR” and “-3”

As per the link is this what you bought? If so where did you get the shims?

I’m considering doing this as well. Would you mind sharing the shipping time and cost?

Hi John - yeah that’s them - they print the other letters and numbers on the product which seems confusing. The shims I used are called Arbor Shims and are 3/4 by 1 1/8 inches in size. Mine are Precision Brand (US company out of Illinois) low carbon steel UPC25180 for an assortment of thicknesses, or 25166 for .005 thickness. I used thickness of .022 and .021 made up from several shims for the left and right installs. Finding them in Canada proved difficult. I only found one place that sold them - Transmission Supplies in Calgary. McMaster Carr has them in various sizes and hardness in the U.S. I’m thinking that harder than low carbon steel may be better - time will tell.

I had my Welch spacers sent by Royal Mail or DHL - can’t remember which, and they were here in about a week. Can’t remember the exact cost of shipping - it’s was under $20.00 as I recall (and I shipped 4 for 2 cars).

1 Like

Yeah - I got the idea and info to do this from you.

Thanks Terry. I’m lining up rainy day winter projects.

I think I’ll spring for a pair. I know it’s going to vary car by car but do you recall the shim thickness you used on each side? also how much pre-load? I’m just looking for a starting point.

EDIT: Just ordered a pair, 69.85 GBP, about 96 USD.

1 Like

Yes - I used .022 and .021 for shim thickness left and right. I wouldn’t exceed 45 ft lbs for torque because of the flat spot (it’s only 1/3 of a bolt diameter) but otherwise I think you strive for the highest torque up to that that will allow you to insert the cotter pin.

1 Like

Excellent, thanks again, Terry. I found the shim packet at Motion Industries, they have a branch store here in town.

How does one decide how many/which shims to use? Did you just go by feel or use a dial indicator?

SNG Barratt offers this in 2 flavors, C19423U-A is the spacer with the shims and C19423U is a complete kit including bearings.

Dial indicator is the “right” way to do it, but after you’ve shimmed a couple, you can do it by feel.

1 Like

The object is to remove all fee play in the bearing and have a small amount of pre load. So you start with a .025 or so shim and see if you have free play then go from there. Thicker shins push the bearings farther apart etc. Substitute shims until you get a slight drag on the rotor that’s more than drag from the grease in the bearing.

1 Like

The MG factory spec is about .005” of end-float, which always seems wrong to me. I shoot for Zero, or a thou or 2 of compression.

I shim mine with just a light oiling, then grease them after I’ve established my shim pack.

1 Like

That’s how I did it: same way, setting crank end float.

So Wiggy are you saying you set crankshaft end float at zero or less?

Not at all: that I did with a dead blow hammer, and my Vernio-o-Digit, jammed twixt the block and a crank cheek.

On VWs, it was between the flywheel and the case.