Latest wisdom on electric fan conversion for SII

Just noticed this post and I can add what is rather a long story and probably a totally an unprofessional approach to this problem. When I bought my car (1975 Series 2) twenty years ago it came with one electric fan of dubious quality mounted directly to the radiator. It seemed to cope ok, except of course when it got exceptionally hot around here, which it does a lot in summer, and then it didn’t, cope that is. Solution, don’t drive in traffic when the temperature is above 35deg C. Fast forward a few years, new bottom end in the motor, a new radiator plus many other upgrades and refurbishments. This time I fitted the two electric fans from a Ford Falcon (AUS), activated by a sensor in the top radiator hose and with a override switch in the cabin. (Tony mentions them in an earlier post) Didn’t think to ask the alternator whether it was happy about this but it hasn’t complained as yet. I’ll sort it if it ever does and losing the odd bit of HP is the least of my worries. I generally have to leave the fans switched off unless it is quite warm because if left to their own devices the motor never warms up properly in cool conditions. Might try a higher temp sensor to combat that. Do they work in the heat? (Which is the whole point of this story) Last January coming home from a Jag club lunch the temperature was 42deg C plus. That’s about 108 deg for all those who use Fahrenheit. My wife and I were sagging but the car seemed not to notice. A 120 km drive at around 110k per hour on the highway (that would be around 50 C + on the road) and the gauge didn’t rise beyond the middle of normal. I even stopped to check it wasn’t lying to us but all was peaceful under the bonnet, it just idled away happily, waiting to get going again. So original versus electric? Depends where you live I suppose, me, I do whatever works. Cheers
Michael

1 Like

It’s the thermostat’s job to keep the engine hot, Michael…

If the engine runs too cool, it is not because of fan actions - it’s likely a faulty thermostat. The main point of electric fans is that they only need to run when radiator temps gets too high. Which is seldom at speed…

As an aside; in a cold climate one may cover part of the radiator to reduce cooling capacity. With the combination of ‘air cooling’ and in-car heater cooling the engine may not produce enough eat to keep itself warm. And the heater is less efficient with low coolant temps…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Just wondering if anyone else has the same problem as I do with my single electric fan. When running, it sounds like a turbine on steroids. Seems to be louder than it should be. Do they make a “quiet” running fan?
Phillip

Either the bearing is bad, or your blades are rubbing somewhere (contacting the radiator like mine, or shroud?). Are you talking about the little four bladed or a converted fan?
If none of the above, then it’s normal.

I have a Cool Cat fan in my E type. It’s made to fit inside the original fan shroud. I can’t hear it inside the car - know it’s on per the swing on the ammeter. Perhaps there’s one for your car? Paul

Thanks, I’ll look into it.