Laycock overdrive wiring diagram help 2 relays 6ra & 22ra summation long

Pete,

At the end of the day I think I will do as you say…I have both inhibitors (enable-ers)

You know we are talking about a guy (me) who changes his own tires…with a manual tire changer

I did learn…and that is what this journey is about for me…now try not to forget…

Thanks Pete,
Mitch

Mitch,
Here are some pictures of the control box I designed to have a fool proof control of the overdrive.
The button to trigger the OD to engage is built into the center of the gear knob:

The switch sends a pulse to the control box which when the gearbox is in 4th gear, will pull a relay that sends 12V to the solenoid.

If I want to disengage the OD, I just press the gear knob button again.
If I take the gearbox out of 4th gear, the OD disengages and does not engage untill the car is in 4th gear and the button is pressed again.

Some may say it’s over engineered and unnecessary and that a switch will do the same (almost) and they are right, but I like it.
My indicator light is the seatbelt warning light with a “1:1.2” label.

I’ll be happy to share the details of the hardware used.

Cheers … Ole

1 Like

Ole,
Another real deal…at this point I am trying to get this 2+2 buttoned up and after I take a breather I will be contacting you…who would not want your system?
Thank You
Mitch
I do not even begin to have the intelligence this takes…maybe someday

Do you think you could possibly put this into a layman’s wiring diagram? i would be eternally grateful

Philip,
at the “end of the day” I just went with the switches on the top of the trans cover
Mitch

Philip,
In case there’s still confusion, here’s the entire circuit:
Fuse (switched) → 4th Gear “enable” switch–> toggle switch (on dash or gearshift)–>OD solenoid.
Also for clarity:

Having the ball switch on the gearbox lid saves alot of wiring complexity. There’s a tab that slides underneath the switch ONLY when 4th gear is selected, so you cannot engage OD in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or reverse gears. Big Healeys have the OD toggle switch on the dash, TR6’s on a stalk switch that looks like a turn signal, and Spitfires on the shift knob. I drilled a hole in my wooden Jaguar shift knob and mounted the switch there, but that does require a hole in the gear shift stalk.
Hope this helps. Once sorted, you won’t regret having the OD.
Tim

1 Like

Im sorry to labour this point; and I do appreciate all the replies, but I need a simple wiring diagram showing the connections between each of the required components from power source to solenoid. I know the components, I just don’t know the order of connections. Relays are a puzzle to me so the numbering of each connection is important too

Hi Phillip did you finally figure out the wiring?
If you did can you send me the schematic please
Cheers
Danny

Danny…full explanation and wiring diagram on my blog

Oh yes sorry I do have it
Cheers
Danny

I constructed a fail safe control box that will allow the OD to engage in 4th gear only and automatically disengage the OD when the gearbox is taken out of 4th gear. The fail safe part is that it will not engage the OD in 4th gear until the button is depressed again.
Push button is built into the gear knob.

Thanks for the wiring diagram.
So what you have is a latching relay ( i think) controlled by a momentary switch to ensure that changing gears will disengage the od and not allow the od to be engaged WITHOUT hitting the button again

So what is the 1 sec delay for ?
I understand that if you use the delay relay you need the final relay for the current draw.

Also how did you get the wire in the gear stick …… or did you use the xj6 stick?

Firstly, the one second delay was because the Volvo OD relay that enables the impulse engage/disengage of the overdrive will send a short 12V pulse when the 12V supply is provided via the 4th gear switch. I didn’t feel that it would do the OD any good with a short actuation of the solenoid and the 1sec relay filters it out.
The wires from the switch in the knob exits the knob at the bottom and the wires run on the outside of the shortened gear lever. Covered and protected by a piece of heat shrink tube. Sorry I don’t have a detail photo of it. Here’s what I found: