Leak/fuel bottom

The fuel level everywhere is controlled by the valves in the float bowls. If the level is too high, i.e., with fuel flowing out from places where it shouldn’t, then there is something wrong inside the float bowls. Leaky valves, misadjusted lever, sunk float, plugged vent, etc.

1 Like

Hi mike…it is possible that the aux carb selenoid is leaking through the valve and that is why I have a leak in the plenum…because I already checked the floats, the levelers and everything is correct…can you give me your point of view? …

The solenoid only controls air and has nothing to do with the fuel. The fuel level is controlled by the float bowls. Here’s a diagram:

See line 21 at the left? That’s the fuel level which is controlled by the float bowl on the left. Follow that line to the right. See where the fuel level is in the starting carb? It’s WAY below the top of the air tubes (#1). In addition, there is no part of the starting carburetor that is connected to the air intake plenum. It gets its air from the Intake Passage, which is why it hisses. The fuel level would have to be VERY high for the fuel to go anywhere that it is not supposed to be.

Those tubes coming off the top of the float bowls are not for overflow, they are air vents, and need to be clear. Are the tubes clear and is the serrated washer installed below the banjo?

1 Like

Mike, I understand what you saying, but under hard cornering, such as flying around a round-about cause me to smell raw fuel? I had always thought this fuel was coming out of those overflow pipes. I will recheck the correct order of the serrated washers as the manual may(?) have it noted incorrectly.? This also happens when the engine is hot and fuel is boiling in the bowls, how do those fumes escape?

Does #14 the aux jet reduce the AIR to get the best leanest amount of fuel to start the engine?
Thanks, Gerard

Today I’m going to do a detailed inspection including the needles…thank you…and I’ll report back later to see how it goes…the serrated washers are in place and the breather lines are clear…

Thanks…

yesterday I started the engine of the jaguar mk 1967 3.4…to fine-tune the carb mixture…but when I tried to turn off the engine…it stayed on…I took out the key and the car was still on…scared because It started to heat up…then I disconnected the battery and the engine turned on…I disconnected the fuel pump and the engine did not stop…I removed the cables from the distributor and closed the carb nozzles as well… In the end the engine stopped…I don’t know why the hell this happened…can someone give me an idea and where to attack the problem??

Are you sure it’s a Jaguar and not a red 1958 Plymouth Fury?

That would explain a lot!

:rofl::rofl:let me see !!!

Today I had time to check the leak I have through the plenum and I removed the front and rear fuel chamber cover but everything is normal at the level without overfloat through the vent lines and apparently everything is fine…my question is ;…if the leak is caused by jett assembly or it has nothing to do with the leak through the plenum…??? In fact, after the glass filter is filled with gasoline… the next day it is dry… should it be like that? I don’t think so!!..your knowledge please…

note: the leak comes out through the nepple front of the plenum…

I’m thinking about replacing 1. the chamber needles and the levers just in case… 2. the jet assembly (in case they have something to do with leaks)…

What do friends think or do I have to look elsewhere for the leak?