Leaking float bowls

I pull up the parking brake and there is no observed braking action…

Check to see if the p-brake pads are worn out.

I cannot be 100% sure, but I hear no chain slap in the video.

Nor do I. I hear one loose tappet.

They are, after all, a full square inch in surface area.

1 Like

Hehehehe!!!

One way the later Rover brakes are better (early Rovers used the same two-square inch setup!): the p-brake can actually function as an e-brake, given the entire rear pad area is the one used as the p-brake.

Properly adjusted they work well. Mine holds on this hill, my driveway.

Oh, they will hold fine: just dont make a habit of handbrake turns…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I believe you mean the Venturi effect. The Venture effect only applies to a…Pipeline.

1 Like

Damn auto correct. :smiley:

1 Like

As far as I can tell they are required to stop only one thing… My inspection sticker from expiring…

Yep: that is precisely one valve too loose.

Again, nothing to really worry about, but they all need to be checked to make sure none are too tight.

Tight can cause VERY expensive problems.

Hi Bill,
You do have a set of tappet bucket hold downs don’t you, that’s the only thing I can think of that would be ‘mission critical’.
Cheers,
LLynn

1 Like

See? There is a technical name for PFM!
pure effing magic😎

1 Like

All - to revive this topic I wanted to ask where the Carb ID Tags should sit in relation to washer numbers 30 & 31 in Nicks picture? If the ID Tags are in the wrong position could it cause back pressure in the float bowl? - I’m getting float bowl seepage after installing the Carb ID Tags between items 31 and 29 as shown. Fresh carb rebuild Fall 2019 - but the vented washer is not present either . . .
Thanks, Dave

Tag goes above washer 31. That washer seals the top of the banjo overflow fitting. Washer 30, which is a serrated fiber design is critical to proper functioning, and seals the lower face of the banjo fitting, while allowing the float bowl to breathe (through the overflow fitting) and the overflow to function.

1 Like

This is how my (67 e type s1) looks - assuming it is correct…
bp

Bill thanks! I did confirm I do have the correct serrated washer #30 and washer #31 per carb bowl. Will reassemble with washers in original orientation and snug up again. Engine is running nicely will recheck for float bowl seepage - I do not see any cracks in bowl lids and have been careful not to over-tighten the tube nuts . . .

Thanks, Dave

Maybe time for a rebuild?

One of my favorite threads on this forum explained that carburetor was french for “don’t touch me”…

Everything is running really well at the moment - including getting 17 mpg - so I’m very reluctant to touch anything…

Bp

1 Like

Bill yes indeed! - an interesting post here suggesting the stacking of ‘two’ AUC1928 serrated washers per carb float bowl. Nothing to do with float bowl leaks however . . .