Leaking Water Valve

Put coolant in my car today. Fortunately no leaks so far with the exception of my new heater valve. I understand that the original seal may not be available any longer. I used a single “O” ring which I thought would do the job but it obviously has not. I did not use any type of sealant between the mounting face on the heater box and the valve. Perhaps I should have?

I would appreciate any suggestions or tips on how to deal with this issue. Thank you!

Lin

If it is actually leaking at the mounting face and it were mine I would seal the face with some sealing compound. Make sure the sealing faces are clean and flat. I have had good luck with something called The Right Stuff. It comes in a pressure can and comes out as thin bead through a rubber nozzle. Keep it off your hands, its a bugger to get off.

I think your find it is just a 0 ring , you may have fitted one too small !
APPROXIMATE DIMENSIONS ARE 0.86" O/D , 0.47" I/D AND 0.2" THICK

Yep it is an o ring not a gasket. Reasonably thick obviously.

Got the proper “O” ring from Terry’s Jaguar. Fit like a charm and no more leaking. I can’t explain why the one I had was undersized but I am pleased that I now have the proper one in place! Thank you to respondents.
Lin