Learned something about my 4.0

During my coolant system refresh I discovered my throttle body was completely trashed with built up oil sludge. I removed it and carefully cleaned almost all traces of sludge without getting any cleaner settling down into the TPS. Checked the gap which was off a couple thousands. Reset to .002 per the book.

Once running again my idle was all over the place. Reset the stepper motor to no avail so used the IACV hex head to bring the idle back into spec. Took about 1.5 turns in to reduce the air.

Following the book, I learned that I have been driving the car for the past couple years with only 3/4 throttle available. There are some indicator points on the capstan to show max throttle position. When the go pedal was depressed to the floor the throttle body was nowhere near full open and the linkage nowhere near hitting the stop.

I sat down and looked at and found quite a bit of play in the throttle cable. There was a good 1/2 inch of cable movement before the TB started to move. So I adjusted the slack out of the cable and now the TB is going to full open, hitting the provided marks and stop.

So if your car seems a bit sluggish, check to make sure you are getting all movement it needs. Either my cable has stretched over the years or it was played with by somebody in the past.

Gordon

1 Like

Nice find! I’ll have to check mine out! Thanks

Only drove it around the block. I’ve a pesky trans leak at radiator joint that has been kicking my butt. Hopefully I’ll have it to speed today and will follow up.

Gordon

Well I resolved the trans leak, a pinched o ring seems to be the guilty party. Stabilized the idle to a tick under 600 rpm in Drive.

Taking the car for a test ride was thrilling to say the least! Excellent throttle response from idle, no more delay. At 50 when I floored the go pedal the car responded like I have never experienced before. The back end squatted slightly and it took off to 75/80 in a matter of seconds.
I did not realize what I and the car were missing. I’m absolutely stunned at the performance I put back in the car. I can’t say how pleased I am. Remember, if everything else fails, read the instructions!

Gordon

By the way, happy Father’s Day to those who qualify! Time for a mimosa!

2 Likes