Leather upholstery for Mark 2

I am completely replacing my interior in my 62 Mark 2–carpets and all panels etc. Prices are extraordinarily high, some quotes (like from BAS) are $12K. Has anyone heard of a good leather interior source or has anyone attempted to tackle this project as a dyi?

I used Aldridge Trimming in the UK last year. Great work. A lot less than $12. Can’t remember exactly but ~$4k.
Cheers.
Dave

Nineteen years ago, I had the factory installed ambla interior on my 1967 Mark 2 replaced with leather. A friend who’d had the interior of his Mark 9 redone by an excellent trim shop suggested I visit them. The shop owner said I’m welcome to purchase a retrim ‘kit’ from one of the various suppliers, and he could install it for me, charging me for labor costs only. He said from his experience, due to various pitfalls, the best interior outcomes transpired when he purchased necessary materials in bulk , then trimmed and fit the various components to fit properly. He showed me booklets of sample swatches from various suppliers, including Connelly, and pointed out that a German supplier which specialized in materials for various classic British and European cars, manufactured identical materials in identical colors for a fraction of the Connelly prices. I went with the German materials. Now, 19 years later, the interior still looks great, save for a few small spots on the driver seat piping, which is starting to wear. If you plan on tackling the job yourself, I’d recommend doing a google search to find the name of that German supplier, the name which, after 19 years, escapes my memory.

That’s really helpful, thanks. I also question the Connelly prices. Their leather must come from aristocratic cows…

2 Likes

Used to be that the fields the cows were kept in had no barbed wire anywhere, so that the hides did not receive any tears. So I heard

I toured the Jaguar factory in Coventry back in the mid-90s, and I’ve also toured the Ferrari factory a few times. During each of the tours, I was shown hides from cows that had old injuries from barbed wire. Couldn’t tell from the outside, but from inside you could clearly see the scars. I was told those scars would have a tendency to split. Those hides were rejected and sent back.

I’ve purchased two kits from OSJI. As long as you have tons of patience and take your time, installation should be a manageable job.

The BAS price you were quoted was for an installed kit correct? Kit alone should be about half that?

Hi Tom,
I just recently replaced the entire interior of my 1964 Mark 2 mostly by myself. I used BAS Jaguar Interiors for the kit.
It was about $8,000 and I was very impressed. He is a link to their website. https://www.basjaguartrim.com/mk-2/

I just bought interior carpets and trim from Aldridge. Door card was damaged so returned and replaced no problem. I asked about stripping my seats and putting on a pallet to save cost but they advised there was little cost in stripping the seats. This is not an amateur job in my view so I will take them over to UK when allowed and have them do the coverings.
They break down all the individual items costs so you can choose what to have. The quality is good. Note there are no ash trays in the arm rests and no front door pocket backings.

That’s interesting.

I recently had a new headlining fitted to my Daimler V8-250 by Aldrich and while there I enquired about them sorting some other bits & pieces maybe later this year.

They had a look at the car and, amount other things, said that the rear armrests could do with replacing and that the finished job would include refitting the ash trays, which would then not rattle any more!

I must admit I didn’t even think about ashtrays when I ordered the kit but clearly I don’t need them these days. I was a little miffed that the front doors need me to make up the backing to the pockets as I just thought they would come made up.

Aldrich seems great. Thanks for the lead. They are a lot cheaper than BAS.

I’ve done a couple of Mk2’s over the years and found that a GOOD auto trimmer can match the kits at a better than competitive price. Check your local trimmers and see how they measure up.

I have a neighbour/friend with a 1929 Oldsmobile. Many years ago he enrolled in one of our technical colleges to study motor trimming - a short course. I have seen his Olds and his other cars and the work is magnificent. So yes, a skilled DIY project. I have been contemplating something similar for when I retire. Paul.

Thanks, good to know