Left side blower plastic pivot repair

Hello everyone.
The plastic pivot pin-that holds the 2nd gear-broke off resulting a non operational flap door. I attached some pictures about the way I repaired it.
Cheers!

1 Like

Nice work. Better than new.

Thank you Brett. I have a lot of problem with the plastics in my car because it’s parking outside all year round. And the Florida sun and heat are not too kind to plastics, paint, rubber, etc.

Very clever fix. How much has to be accessed/dissembled to get to this component?

John,

to get the left side blower out, I had to remove the knee bolster and the metal panel behind it (just a few phillips screws) then I unplugged and removed the cruise control module (no tools required), unplugged both connectors of the blower and a few more. The blower is held on to the body by two 10 mm bolts. It requires an extension to reach them. I used a 1/4" drive ratchet with a long extension (because it’s skinnier than a 3/8" drive) and a 10 mm socket. There’s a U shape clamp that holds the rubber sleeve of the blower assembly to the HVAC housing. To me removing the left side blower is easier than the right side. Do you need to work on any of them?

Top job McGuyver. Time and perseverance,we all love a challenge to accomplish a positive result.

Thanks Gordon.
The feeling of the success is even bigger if the repair can be done on the cheap with good results. It cost me just a few $ and I still have some bolts and T nuts left over for the right side blower. And of course the know-how.

Thankfully, no. My climate control system is working fine. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for the background information.
Eugene, Oregon USA

It took me 10-15 min. to get the blower out. Pretty easy job. The most difficult part is turning your neck to see the two 10 mm bolts that hold the assembly to the car’s body.