Left-to-right drive conversion

Does anybody have experience of converting a LHD XK140 to RHD? I’m experienced in restoration work but would like advice from someone who knows (why re-invent the wheel?).
I know the arguments for retaining the car as built, but I already have a LHD Mustang which we use abroad and the XK will be mostly for UK use. Also, I was only allowed to buy it on the understanding that I’d convert it to RHD…

Thanks

Roger

Check out the book “ On Jaguar XK Restoration “ It details the conversion as well as Chassis repairs on the anti roll mounts and rear chassis extensions.

Cheers

Tony.

Hi Roger, I’m rebuilding an XK120 and have converted from LHD so if I can be of help.
Incidentally are you the Roger that used to enter the Euroclassics often in a Mustang or Cobra I did most of them in a red Elan.
Regards Peter

Hi Peter,
I am indeed! Good to hear from another Euroclassicer, shame they’re not running these days. We had some memorable trips, what with Oslo, Prague, Lisbon, Rome… all at 17mpg… we’re off to France next month in the Mustang for the Tour de Bretagne, hope the weather’s nice.

The XK120’s a steering box I believe, but the pedal issues will presumably be the same. Did you have to buy any new pedal parts?
Regards
Roger

Hi Roger,

I’ve converted my 120 to rack and pinion originally using a 140 rack but have now used a hydraulic steering rack. ( incidentally I still have the recon RHD rack if you are interested).

I also fitted the extended pedal box which Guy Broad does it’s a good piece of kit comes complete with cylinders, pipe work and remote reservoirs.

We’ve just done tour of Europe over to Salzburg, Prague etc unfortunately not in a classic but good to remember some of the places we visited.

Don’t know where you reside but if you wanted to look at the XK I’m 5 miles outside Chester.

Regards Peter

Hi Roger,
Didn’t say I’d completed it 3 years into the project and still ongoing, we have a couple of other classics to keep us going and I navigate in historic rallies for a a few friends.

You are very welcome to come up and have a chat , let me know

Mobile 07712828814

P/c LL12 8RR

Peter

Hi Peter,

Hope this finds you - I don’t seem to have a personal email address for you. In case you have the same problem, I’ve sent you a message with mine. I think.

Just a gentle prod to remind you about the steering rack - no rush, the car’s still where I left it and I’m not allowed to start on it yet!

Regards

Roger

***Roger King

A friend converted an XK 140 DHC from LHD to RHD a few years ago
He was tall so he altered the pedals from the factory RHD position to give ore leg room
It all worked out extremely well.

Thanks Ed - at 5’ 8" I don’t think I’ll have a problem. I think bending the pedals is going to be the biggest factor, so I need to find a template or something to copy.

Hi Roger,

Pity you didn’t make the XK70 bash at Shelsey Walsh there were lots of cars and some good trade stands.

I would sell the rack if you are interested, £800 it’s got one of the mountings with it I think I must have used the other but they are readily available.

I’ve added a couple of photos of the pedal box if they help and one earlier one of the car.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image4.jpegRegards Peter

Hi Roger, Just want to make sure you are back from Europe before I dispatch the rack.

Regards Peter

Boschman Peter Fletcher
June 25
Hi Roger, Just want to make sure you are back from Europe before I dispatch the rack.

Regards Peter

Hi Peter,

Just a follow-up email now I’m at home to confirm in case you didn’t get my last one sent whilst on the move!

Regards

Roger

Roger King
Grove House

6, Tenterleas

St Ives
PE27 5QP

01480 468775
07721 430168