Left turn signal not working ( 1961 E-Type)

left turn signal not working ( 1961 E-Type), no light, no indicator light, no click. How do I start toruble shooting? Thank you in advance.

I would suggest to start by checking all the push in connectors that connect the signal assembly to the wiring harness. Over the decades their tightness can lessen and cause this problem. Sometimes, the tubular female metal part inside them that provides electrical contact, splits and no longer provides contact.

If you pull out and re-push in each connector, there is a good chance you solve the problem.

You can look at the wiring diagram and see the wire colours that come out of the assembly that go to left signals. If you just do those wires, and do it with the left turn signal on, you might suddenly hear it start clicking ad working.

BUT… before you do this, I suggest you check that you do not have two burned out left signal bulbs!

Dennis
69 OTS

where do i find these " connectors that connect the signal assembly" ? behind, under the dash or under the bonnet.

They are under the dash where the steering wheel is
Dennis
69 OTS

Ils sont au centre derrière le panneau en aluminium,
quatre fusibles Ă  gauche, quatre Ă  droite,
pour le clignotant c’est le troisième à droite.
Vous lisez ma réponse comment? en Anglais ou en Français?
je suis nouveau et Français, rien n’est expliqué là dessus.
Mais j’ai une excuse : j’ai une E de 1961!

I think there is only one fuse for the whole signal circuit and since the right signal works, this would seem to say that the fuse in not the problem.
If you take the underdash cover off - the one under the steering wheel, you will see five wire connectors like in the below photo.
The five connector has connections from the turn signal assembly to it.
If you, one at a time, pull out each male connector, then plug it back in, you may be able to find the problem. There are 5 male connectors on each side for a total of 10 to pull out and push back in.
Be sure to disconnect the battery first. And be sure to do this one connector at a time so you do not mix up the connections.
Dennis
69 OTS

s-l300

yes like said Dennismo it is necessary clean all the connections, also the connections of the turn signal switch.

If you have checked that you do not have two burned out left bulbs, it is very likely the five connector in the photo.
Last summer a friend’s Series 1 had the same problem, and on the left side!
The five connector was the problem
Dennis
69 OTS

Hi Dennis,
You are spot on. I did exactly what you said and the L turn signal is now working. How did you know ? Is this a common problem? Thanks a million.

William

I am happy all is fixed now!
Dennis
69 OTS

This will help in the future

My series 2 has a five wire connector which is the usual culprit.

Mar 26

If you take the underdash cover off - the one under the steering wheel, you will see five wire connectors like in the below photo.
The five connector has connections from the turn signal assembly to it.
If you, one at a time, pull out each male connector, then plug it back in, you may be able to find the problem. There are 5 male connectors on each side for a total of 10 to pull out and push back in.
Be sure to disconnect the battery first. And be sure to do this one connector at a time so you do not mix up the connections.
Dennis
69 OTS

s-l300

Yes, take pictures of the connector wiring, label them if needed. The wires can change color from one side to the other.
pauls

1 Like