Length of 120 Chasssi is?

I have an E type (not that it matters for this forum) and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the over all length is of the chassis it’s self (when “naked”).

Thanks, Pat

Bare frame? Wheelbase is 102" and the frame extends about 14 inches forward from the front axle centerline and rearward 36 inches from the rear axle centerline.

Pat,

Terry McGrath has a drawing of the chassis and (I assume) as Terry assisted in writing “Jaguar XK 120 Explored”, this drawing is also presented in there.
The exact length of the chassis I calculated as 152.42" or 3872 mm (so conform Mike’s calculation).

Side question: can somebody from “across the Atlantic” explain me how you add up e.g. 15 59/64 + 50 1/32 + 29 5/32 + 57 5/16 on a calculator without first going back to the decimal system??? Or do you have special calculators for that purpose? Just curious how you cope with that in an engineering environment… without loosing too much time

Bob K.

These days, my phone does that! :joy:. In the old days, I used a TI-28S calculator. If all you are doing is summation, just add them as discreet entries.

15 + 59/64 + 50 + 1/32 + 29 + 5/32 + 57 + 5/16

If you are performing some other math operations, multiplication, division, square root, etc, you start adding nested parentheses where applicable.

What that actually looks like on a TI-28S or my modern phone is this:

15 +
59/64 +
50 +
1/32 +
29 +
5/32 +
57 +
5/16

You can then hit the + key and it adds the bottom sum to the next value in the stack, until you have added them all together. You can also key in the entire string with an opening and closing (.) and hit the RESULT key.

Ha, ha. :laughing:
Speaking as a mechanical design engineer who worked his whole career with fractional inches, I generally had decimal equivalents memorized and just automatically converted. If there was a design that had both inches and metric dimensions, we used decimals. Except if I was supervising ironworkers setting up steel structures, then we used fractions because that was all they understood.

I also have a chassis drawing courtesy of David Roper, and it has fractions but I’ll convert to decimals:
wheelbase 102"
front wheel centerline to front bumper mounting face 16.25"
rear wheel centerline to rearmost body mounting bolt hole 34.5"
rear chassis extends maybe 1" beyond last bolt hole, so somebody with their body off can measure that.
total 153.75" = 3905.25 mm

Mike & Rob,

Thanks for these answers: so in an “engineering environment” you will introduce the decimal equivalent of the fraction.
Regarding the actual length of the chassis: I guess your’s more correct Rob (3905 mm), as the last dimension at the rear of Terry’s drawing (57 5/16 ") stops just before the end of the chassis (centre of the last bolt hole) .

Bob K.