Lets build a 1967 e type together

Rufus is three. About a year ago I left him in the truck when I went into the hardware store. I slipped the end of his leash over the floor shifter to keep him from jumping out the window (it was hot outside). The truck was parked on an incline and I left it in first gear (no parking brake). As I’m checking out with my weekly Jaguar hardware fix, a neighbor walks into the store and says “Hey, Rufus just drove off with your truck”. I said B.S. and he said no, he really just took off. I walked over to the door and sure enough, there was Rufus the Dufus rolling backwards across the parking lot with his paws up on the wheel and a big smile on his face. Rufus is known as the Dude in our marina.

I know the feeling!

Jags & Dogs might be an interesting new topic. My dog beat my wife for first ride when I took delivery of my E-Type 17 years ago.

I made my own console and used these. Double check your console. These require a 4-15/16" diameter mounting hole.

Disassemble and paint the grills and surrounds and they look somewhat like the originals.

I like it…….
I found a KENWOOD radio with no cd player with color adjusting face.
One turning knob and I phone, usb port, blue tooth and mic.
Its only 4 inches deep.
Amazing!
I might want to retian the original speaker grills , I found a retro pair of speakers with only 1.50 depth.
If they sound good I will keep them, If not im going down your path with the overlay speakers!
gtjoey1314

Ground wire question
As in going to use a proper morose cut off switch
Not the cheaply but the big cutoff
My ground cable goes to the block not the firewall
Either works was there a change along the way?
Any drawback to the block?
Thanks
Gtjoey1314

By far your major current draw is your starter, so for that reason it’s a good thing to have the ground cable going to the block directly. Then with a good quality ground strap to the chassis/subframe. I have in addition also fittet a ground strap between the frame and the bonnet as well as a heavy gauge feeder 12V for the headlight relays.
Cheers … Ole

Thank you……
I ground EVERYTHING, somehow I never have an issue.
Hit the behive with wiring, my loom looks like it was replaced but I don’t like the placement between the lighter can and key switch.
Will try to reroute in time……
Thanks.
GTJOEY1314

Suggestions?
I’m going to insulate the tunnel and new hold downs
Boot coming
Anyone see this huge foam insulation before?
Gtjoey1314

Clean and install, on the inside, reflective heat blanket, and then put the foam block in, on top of the gearbox (you have what appears to be a homemade version of the original foam.).

Thanks wiggles, All my etypes I never had the foam, following eric64, will foil underneath then a new foam .
Ive got the dynaliner for on top.
Annnnd we move on.
ThANKS EVERYONE
GTJOEY1314

That foam looks exactly like the foam I removed from my '68 except my foam was completely soaked with oil (from a leaking rear main, also known as rust protection).

3 Likes

I was just about to type that exact same line!!!

Me too, with the substitution of “69” for “68”.

On the 2+2 I cleaned my original foam by repeatedly washing it in a 5 gallon bucket of hot water and laundry detergent. lather, rinse, repeat about 6 times followed by compressing it between two towels and a full day under the hot Houston sun and practically all the oil was removed.

I briefly considered taking it to the Laundromat using a front loader with no agitator, but I couldn’t subject their machine to that abuse and pity the next person with a load of whites.

3 Likes

SNG has them new for 30 dollars, plus no oil soak, fumes and gas.
Thanks guys
Isnt this fun, better than watching the tv…
GTJOEY1314

Looks great but isn’t heat build up within the gearbox an issue with all that sound/heat insulation around the casing?

GTJOEY,

If it’s SNG part # BD27833 you’re looking at, be advised that the foam is not anywhere near as dense/thick/heavy as the original. It might be just as effective, IDK, but after my new one came in from SNG I put the oil soaked original back on the gearbox. FYI

Enjoying your progress!

That’s why I cleaned mine as best I could and reused it. :grin:

I have the TV on the Barrett Jackson Scottsdale live and another primrose '67 FHC just sold for $100K but this one was a open headlight car. Looked nice on the outside but it was a pretty quick sale with no views under the bonnet or interior. Wonder if I need to up the value with Hagerty on my '68

David
68 E-type FHC

1 Like

Recognized as someones old mattress.
My S3 has some foam I’d describe as closed cell foam, which should not soak up oil and become a fire hazard.