Lets guess its value

I am going to guess 74K on the coupe.

Hmmm…well…maaaaybe…:slight_smile:

Does this auction sort of blow a hole in the theory that BaT is the “wrong venue” for expensive, European cars?

I’ve seen that same claim made over the years for American cars, English cars, Muscle cars, expensive cars…so which cars is it the right venue for?

I realize Gullwings rarely come up for offer, but for me, this auction shows that when a car that people want comes on the market, serious buyers will find it, and it won’t go unnoticed and unloved because it’s on a certain venue.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1956-mercedes-benz-300-sl-coupe/

1 Like

This Ferrari exceeded 3M on BAT. I think there are always exceptions.

1 Like

I agree, there are always exceptions, but when people don’t like the results for their favorite genre/brand/model, they always seem to explain it away with “well, it wasn’t the right venue” or “the weather’s getting really cold”, or the ever-popular “we’re just too close to Christmas”.

It begs the question, what makes something the wrong venue? A lack of trust, a lack of exposure to the right people, what? I can’t come up with something that holds water.

I can maybe understand something like a Mecum auction being the wrong venue for an E-type, but I think these “exceptions” kill the argument that a pretty well trusted on-line venue like BaT is the wrong venue for any particular type of car.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s the wrong forum at all. Roger Los sold his for like 225k on BAT. His was an exceptional car though. One sold for 150k last month, a 63 I think, again an exceptional restoration. It’s the mid level ones that are struggling. This last blue one was another exception. I really didn’t expect it to go that high.

1 Like

Bug Eyes seem to go for more than I expect on BAT