LHD SII washer bottle. Why?

Hello all,

Is there a good reason why the washer bottle is located all the way at the front of the engine bay, so far from its place of business?

I am thinking of moving it (well, an adequately shaped version of it) to the bulkhead, behind the servo because I need the space in front for the new expansion tank.

Moving it there strikes me as an obvious choice to put it closer to the windshield and allow faster/easier spraying of cleaning fluid when needed.

Thank you :slight_smile:

I don’t see any harm in moving it but I don’t think it will make spraying faster. If the line is already primed from past use, the jets should spray immediately regardless of distance, shouldn’t they?

David

2 Likes

Eric,

windscreen washers typically have a one way valve in one place or another so that the water is always “on tap”. Given that the pump is situated at the bulkhead shorter water lines would certainly be advantageous … not to talk about weight reduction;-)

It would seem more important to me to keep the water lines and the jets close to engine heat to ensure operation during winter time.

Best

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

1 Like

I fit a Series 3 washer bottle to my 73 Series 1 (same location as Series 2 arrangement). It has an integral pump; none is needed on the bulkhead. Has worked well for a long time (purchased from DD–thanks, Doug!).

1 Like