LHD versus RHD wiper motor parking

I have a LHD series 1 where the wiper mont self park. I have found a complete wiper motor unit from a RHD car but assume if I fit it as is it will park the wiper on the wrong side. Can the RHD motor be converted to park like a LHD motor.
Thanks

Ian

I think identical motors were used in both configurations, Ian…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Ok thanks Frank
My car is in Europe and I am presently stranded in Queensland. I’ll spend my time cleaning out the gearbox and changing the grease etc to save time when I get home. I found the motor on Trade me in NZ where I think you are based. Hope things are better for you now things are easing.

Ian

Hi again Frank
I found this on the lotus site, you are correct it is the same unit for both LHD and RHD cars but there is a part to rotate through 180 degrees to alter the parking side. Looks easy, pity I can’t try it quickly. This article covers all repairs to the wiper unit.

Ian

http://www.lotus-europa.com/manuals/misc/electrical/16w.pdf

1 Like

Keep the article for downstream use, Ian…:slight_smile:

What was actually wrong with your own motor - any clue in the article…?

Frank

Hi Frank
The problem with the motor on the car is that the self park doesn’t work because the cam operated switch is broken and I couldn’t find a replacement switch, it’s no longer available. I did find a switch for a series 3 motor but the fixing to the motor is completely different, a clip rather than two screws. I found the complete motor in NZ so had it posted to Australia where I am until there are aircraft again.
Whilst I have the time here I’ll strip this unit down and check everything, change brushes etc.

Ian

I suspect that S3 park switch itself is identical to the earlier set-ups, Ian…? But in any case; you are hot on the right trail…:slight_smile:

Incidentally; a frequent ‘no self parking’ problem is caused by the wiper switch…

Frank

If you are handy with a screwdriver, the modification is dead easy as long as you pay attention to how everything comes apart and goes back together. Two pieces need to be reversed 180 deg. One is the nylon slider block (part 11 in the diagram) that is internal and the other is the external switch. If you look at the slider block, you will see that it is shaped like a ramp. Just make sure when you put it all back together that the ramp is oriented correctly and will not bend the plastic pin on the switch when it moves into park position.I had one that wouldn’t par and found the slider was backwards and bent the pin. Simple fix.
takes all of 15 to 20 minutes at most.