Light Window Tint?

Has anyone installed window tint? Considering doing a light tinting for just blockage of the rays on my 85 XJ6. My AC works and blow ice cold air (and all 4 fan speeds) but in the sunny 85+ degree heat it can’t keep up to keep it comfortable enough, so makes me think twice about driving it when I am in there by myself. And it is way too hot to take my twin boys (3.5year olds) in rides in it, tried yesterday and one son was about to throw up for getting overheated after a 20 min drive and that was after it being in the garage. I don’t want anything that looks too dark as I like the old school clear glass look. I am thinking of a 50% or a 80% film that is designed more for windshields so is nearly clear. Just debating on the level and what it looks and how much heat reduction to expect. Anyone have any experience they can shed…

Wow, 85 F ain’t that bad. You will get a bit of a relief from a light tint on windows. IN CA, rh front screen and freon t doors are limited.

I do not think the tint will make the car comfortable.

A white top would have more effect.

Wereit my car, i would check on the ACand the full on tmp at the outlet. My roufgh test is a chill on my finger nails.

I seem to recall that about 50 F is good.

Carl

In South Carolina I can go up to 27% tint on all 4 doors and back, in a truck/suv the back windows is unlimited. But that is way too dark for me from a looks standpoint for this car. I feel like part of the issue is that with the fan speed on high it is the equivalent of a touch above medium compared to my other cars and due to the center vent design most just gets blown to the back (looking for buying one of those facelift XJS vents). My AC is ice cold (haven’t checked actual temp during the heat, but feels plenty cold), but in Nov when I swapped in a new to the car engine from my 86 I parted out(after 250k miles had rod knock), I put in a new condenser, and new lines, the compressor was replaced about 15 years ago, if I recall the output temp was like in the 40s, but it was also probably only 60 degrees outside at the time. When it isn’t sunny outside it has plenty to make it freezing. Has anyone upgrade the fans or are mine on their last legs. Curious what other deem as norma amount of air velocity coming out on high.

Have you actually measured cabin temps, Scott?

That said; the AC cannot counter the direct heat of the sun’s rays on bodies - it can only counter the heating of the air in the cabin. And less in the rear with a more limited, though adjustable, rear vent output…

As an aside; the fan speeds in ‘auto’ will cycle between low and high - the frequency of the changing is an indication of the systems efficiency versus cabin temps.

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)