Limp mode, tried almost everything

Thanks, and I now have someone working on it who knows these cars. He says it will be ready tomorrow, so it must not be that bad after the initial scan. Sure hope he nails it. I like the car, but I will not tolerate unreliability.

If it were a bad connection in the ABS module causing all these random problems, then that would be something new learned for me.

The ABS electronic modules for the X100 and X308’s going bad is common - often caused by a cracked solder joint on the board. A hacksaw blade, $10 for some non-corrosive silicone sealant to glue the case back together, and a bit of solder fixed it for me.

But it didn’t cause rampant problems, just a constant defective ABS warning message.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I have the car in good hands, and he described exactly what you did and will do it to mine if need be, as he has done it before. Funny, went right to it and spotted it along with two coils the other guys missed and a new set of plugs. I may be back in business tomorrow or Friday. You just have to find the right person to get the job done. The system for the car has been around for ages, and it is amazing how few people know how it works.

Update? Plus 20 questions!

Well, it is running smooth as silk now. We are on to the front strut insulators that are shot. They used some sort of foam rubber, and when it crumbles and dies, the top shaft of the strut can move around, throwing off your alignment. A friend gave me some replacements that he had made, but they lacked the center insulator, so they are of no use. I have already ordered the aftermarket units with urethane in place of the foamy stuff If you have an XK8, I would take a look under the bonnet, as these are in plain sight and I will bet they are shot if they have not been replaced.