Little megaphone

On a totally new and unrelated topic, has anyone figured out how to get rid of or relocate the little megaphone icon in the lower left side of the page?

You can put a little piece of tape over it.

3 Likes

I used tape to mask part of the monitor and then hit the megaphone icon with white spray paint, flat white, if it matters. :smiling_imp::innocent::rofl:

It’s the icon to start the chat.

It can be neither hidden, nor moved, but it’s a good idea - I’ll ask the developer if that might be possible.

1 Like

Can’t do that. Then I would mistake it for a check engine light. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

So does that explain the blue dot over it on my phone?

I’m not sure what you mean by “blue dot over it”. Normally blue dots indicate that someone has posted in a topic that you are watching.

Capture%20457

Ah… wait a sec, that means that something has been posted there since you last visited.

Is this what I should see when I click on the megaphone?

Double click on “Pub”

Got it. Zip going on there for the past two days.

And I was trying to think of the right term. In the U. S. at least those things that look like that icon are called Bullhorns.

scroll down. iirc it only scrolls to where you last were.

Yes, I see. I was expecting the most recent replies to be at the top.

Another vote for getting rid of that intrusive megaphone symbol, now with a blue dot for some unknown reason. Also, what happened to the Category list that you used to get when you clicked on the menu (3 horizontal bars) symbol? Instead of getting a list of all categories like you used to, with each one in the same place ever time you click on it, now you only get a subset of the list, and they move around each time you click on it, so you have to search to find the one you want. I guess I must be a bit of a Luddite, but this seems like change for changes sake…

-David

1 Like

I would also like to add my vote for the previous system unless there is some really good reas9n for the change.

Unfortunately updates to Discourse sometimes include such surprises. New functions get implemented and defaults aren’t always optimal for our specific environment, so there’s a bit of catch up to be played after each major update.

I believe I’ve found a setting to regulate the number of categories shown under the hamburger. I’ll change that now.

1 Like

Excellent. Just checked and it is back to normal. Thankyou.

Thanks Andrew. There are now more Categories displayed, which is good. I’ll watch it over the next few days to see if the categories remain in the same place in the display that they used to.

To get rid of the bullhorn, see https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/how-do-i-turn-the-chat-notification-bullhorn-off

1 Like