Location of air filter in 1953 XK120

That’s interesting!.. you know why? Because they’re also using my head and engine block numbers…

Wellll… one is fake!

A new mystery…:upside_down_face:

1 Like

Mines been slumbering since May of 1966 .

Imma gonna guess someone in Oz haz been hoodwinked!

1 Like

We’ve noticed before that the engine block ID stamper didn’t have a dash, so he used a number 1.
The head stamper apparently did have a dash but sometimes used a 1.
Another interesting feature of the DHCs, the body number begins with P, but it looks like the ID plate stamper didn’t have a letter P stamp, so he did it with numbers 1 and 0.

Might be a good way to identify a repro ID plate.

2 Likes

Rob, I noticed the same thing on my plate a “1” with a sideways “0” … interesting

David, my guess is that 677123 on XKDATA originated as a phony eBay auction meant to spoof someone into winning the auction and sending in a down payment. The spoofer could have searched XKDATA for an unknown chassis number and constructed the eBay listing.

There’s a person associated with XKDATA who apparently spends his life collecting every XK listing appearing on the internet and then dumping those listings into XKDATA. As a result, the good, the bad, and the ugly are all there on XKDATA.

Later on someone who has a list of engine numbers that match chassis numbers filled in additional fields on XKDATA. And then added an advertisement for a book.

2 Likes

Beautiful. Where was it sleeping?

1 Like

West Virginia. It was rallied in Ohio on May 1st 1966 (I have all the rally papers and course) and then it was laid up… no idea why

1 Like

I think @Confused1 has a somewhat similar story!

Quite the find. In much better original condition than my XK120 when I bought it in 1991. It had (according to the vendor, no documentation, though I have a fair bit of information on the original owner) been taken off the road in 1966 or so when the original owner died, stored in her garage for 4 years or so while her estate was settled then purchased, partially dismantled, dipped and then left to languish in a barn. Drivetrain left intact and almost all the remaining parts in boxes. I didn’t get it back on the road until last year, so only a 56 year hiatus compared to your 57.

Welcome to the forum. Your journey to the road will be shorter than mine but you have definitely come to the right place to help you find your way.

2 Likes

Interesting
We are probably to blame as such.
I first saw the Australian version of this car back in the late 1980 in Los Angeles when we were hunting XK’s
I have no way now of remembering what I saw to actually say it was 677123 but usually very methodical in identifying a car and may not have even recorded a number.
Here is photo of that car.

We obviously didn’t identify buy the engine number!
It was brought to Australia by Dr Peter Pearson in 1988 having purchased it from well known Indian ie cowboys and Indian girl Bonnie Ember a car dealer in LA. And Pearson advised by letter the car detail ie 677123
Had a hard life here in that almost restored in Silver the colour changed from to maroon and then was totally submerged in Qld floods a few years back

History as such is in our XK120 book,
Certainly nothing deliberate/intentional in the misinterpretation of chassis number and given I have see the car 4 time once in LA once in NSW in Silver once in Qld in Marroon and again in Melbourne after flood you would have thought I had checked chassis number!

1 Like

Thank you for the response Terry! How (if at all) would this impact it (my 120) fit the Jaguar registry?

Yours is the real deal, David, but I might suggest you do two things. One is to get in touch with @paul_spurlock to see about correcting the erroneous entry in XKDATA and entering your car’s info. The second is to get a heritage certificate from the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust for official confirmation of your data.

1 Like

David, also confirm your own chassis number by what is stamped on the chassis, on the bracket that supports the brake master cylinder.
chassis ID 007a

There is also a stamped number on the chassis in front of the radiator, but it is usually poorly stamped and hard to read.

1 Like

Good idea! I checked they match the data plate.

You might want to publish photos of those two things here.
You can also check the gearbox number if you take the trans cover off. It is stamped on the top and the left rear upper corner.
Then get a JDHT certificate. You need proof of ownership for that, like a state title. They don’t provide numbers, only confirm numbers you give them. That will cement the true identity of your car.
Then Terry and our other Australian friends can see what to do about the other misidentified car.
The admin of xkdata is willing to make changes if he can be shown proof of errors in identification.

2 Likes