Location of the FOB sensor on 1997 XK8

Location of FOB sensor

I think its part of the security system in the trunk

Hello Trevor,

You’re not exactly long on words, are you? I assume you want to know about the Remote Locking System.
According to the manual, the antenna is located above the backlight ( I assume that means rear window ). It’s connected to the Security and Locking Control Module which is in the boot. I did have to take mine out once and I seem to remember that it is on the right hand side. The antenna is hard wired on the coupe and has a coaxial connector on the convertible.
Hope that helps.

Model Year, Coupes, Convertibles, etc.

ALL make a difference so your question is vague.

Can’t answer without more info. (I hate mystery cars)

HI Eric.

I got frustrated with the log in procedure hence the “shortage” of words. The vehicle is a 1997 XK8 convertible

My Fob Packed up (I only have one), I have been through the cleaning regimen without success so I imagine either the FOB itself or the control module are cattle trucked.

Hence my request for the location of the control module, for which I thank you.

I think my next step will be to buy and new FOB and try to program that before I start messing with the wiring and/ moving the fuse box ,which I understand the control Module is under.

This car is like a beautiful woman, I love it but she is very moody and needs constant attention.

Trevor Wastell

PISCES FISH MACHINERY, INC.

PO Box 189

Wells, MI 49894

Tel: 906.789.1636

1 Like

I have had a cell phone repair shop fix my key fob in the past. Before you start tearing things apart on the car, give them a try.

1 Like

Hi Trevor,
The fob is the most likely cause of the problem. I bought a simple tester from an eBay vendor but it only told me whether the fob was producing any RF or not. It has no way checking for valid code.
It is difficult if you only have one. You might find a used one or as Grahame suggests, maybe try to get yours repaired.
If you do source a replacement, bear in mind the frequencies are different between the US and Europe. US ones us 315MHz but ones from Europe including UK are 433MHz.
I had a lot of trouble with mine when I first got my XK8. I read on the forums that they could be matched to the car with a sequence using the headlamp flasher. I can say from my experience this does not work for UK ones and the only way I found I could re-programme a used one was using the the Jaguar WDS system that I have. Jaguar dealers don’t appear to have the right kit to do this any more as it’s too old. In fact, Jaguar dealers don’t seem to know anything about XK8s any more

Thanks Grahame, I will give that a go.

Trevor Wastell

PO Box 189

Wells, MI 49894

Thanks Eric.

I am also leaning to the FOB being the issue. I tried the programing sequence and all went well, red light on the shift console etc. until it came to pushing the FOB 5 times. , I did but no response or red light flashing , so I am assuming it did not give out a signal.

I will try the repair option and maybe buy a replacement, ensuring it has the same exact part No’s. My fob has two part No’s one for the US and one for Canada and I will ensure any replacement matches both.

Thanks again

Trevor

Trevor Wastell

PO Box 189

Wells, MI 49894

It is the little push buttons that are the problem. They break from heavy use. I would highly recommend getting two working ones. I keep a spare on my key ring. I’ve used it when I’ve dropped the main one down between the seat and tunnel. The main fob has no other keys on it, as I’ve had problems in the distant past (an MG Midget when I was 16) with the ignition switch wearing out from the weight of keys hanging on it. Since then, the ignition key (or fob now a days) lives on it’s own fob and the spare lives on my key ring, along with all my other keys.